Page 162 of 163 FirstFirst ... 62112152160161162163 LastLast
Results 3,221 to 3,240 of 3244

Thread: Recent Purchases/Borrowings

Default Re: Recent Purchases/Borrowings

Quote Originally Posted by tiganeasca View Post
    Knowing how much fun there is in the chase, I wish you happy hunting, StevieB...though I suspect by now you're home already. But the thrill of the chase and the glow of the acquisition still remains!
    Thanks, tiganeasca. I spent four hours at the sale and still didn't get through all of the shelves. Unfortunately, I had to head back to work in order to teach an afternoon class. I'd be embarrassed to share how many books, CDs, and DVDs I bought, but most items were in great condition and so cheap that I couldn't resist. Even brand new CDs in shrinkwrap were only 10 cents.

Sorry, Daniel, no pics, but I'll try to get some next time (they hold the sale every three months). I bought lots of books for my kids, my mom, and myself, of course, but I also have some that I'll take with me next time I head down to Minneapolis. There's a large bookstore there that gives excellent trade credit which can even be applied to the purchase of new books.

A few of my highlights from today:

Books:

Georges Bataile - Story of the Eye
    Nicholas Basbanes - Patience & Fortitude (a book about book-crazy people)
    Robert Pirsig - Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance
    Mari Sandoz - Miss Morissa
    Elizabeth Taylor - Angel
    Mary Stewart - The Moon-Spinners

A number of beautiful art books and cookbooks. My favorite cookbooks include one on global vegetarian dishes and one on bread baking.

CDs:

Latin Jazz (Putamayo Records), a compilation of classic songs
    Native American flute music, classical CDs, and books on tape

DVDs:

The Cuckoo (Finland)
    Saint Ralph (Canada)
    The Best of Youth (Italy)

I continue to be amazed by the quality of items that are donated to the library, and I'm already looking forward to the next sale three months from now.

Independent People, Halldór Laxness
    Qur'an

Quote Originally Posted by lucasdiniz View Post
    Independent People, Halldór Laxness
    Read it. Read it now. Top 5 book.

Bought Jon Fosse's Trilogy and Melancolia (this one in a pt-br, the only Fosse we've got translated so far, if I'm not mistaken).

Steinbeck's East of Eden, in penguin's deluxe centennial edition

David Copperfield and Paradise Lost in those penguin clothbound editions.

A volume of Bob Dylan's Lyrics, a red covered one.

Llosa's A festa do Bode (again, a brazillian edition of The Feast of the goat - I don't read in Spanish )

And I guess that's about it

also bought Ishiguro's The Buried Giant and Peter Nadas' Parallel Stories, but these haven't arrived yet - luckily they were available in a local book shop's online stock...

BTW, that's why I love the nobel prize the most: translations; Nadas and Krasznahorkai for instance still aren't available here.

Oh, and also bought some four more Lobo Antunes("Boa tarde às coisas aqui em baixo", "Ontem não te vi em babilônia", Explicação dos pássaros" and "Meu Nome é Legião"). I plan to read his entire ouevre in six years time (because I know myself and am realistic and yet I think I am being a little too optimistic)
    Last edited by Bartleby; 14-Oct-2017 at 01:48.

The Poison Tree
    Rajmohan's Wife
    Indira and Other Stories
    all by Bankim Chandra Chatterji/Chatterjee/Chattopadhyay

A Lake Beyond the Wind
    , Yahya Yakhlif
    The Reed Cutter and Captain Shigemoto's Mother, Junichiro Tanizaki
    The Sun Hath Looked Upon Me, Calixthe Beyala
    The Sound of Things Falling, Juan Gabriel Vasquez
    The Secret History of Costaguana, Juan Gabriel Vasquez
    Jack Maggs, Peter Carey

Quote Originally Posted by Stevie B View Post
    Robert Pirsig - Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance
    I'll be very curious to know your response to this. I still remember it made quite an impression on me when it first came out in the mid-19[mumble, mumble]s. Indeed, I think it's time for a re-reading. I suspect it may be a little dated in some ways, but I still remember it quite fondly.

Quote Originally Posted by OverTheMountains View Post
    Read it. Read it now. Top 5 book.
    Reading it! haha
    It's been out of print here in Brazil for a while, so this edition was pretty expensive. I hope it's worth the money I spent.

Reading it! haha
    It's been out of print here in Brazil for a while, so this edition was pretty expensive. I hope it's worth the money I spent.
    Really? Maybe by the time you bought it it was different, but now it is in stock (at least) on the brazillian amazon for R$42,00 (and it's been for this price for quite a while).

Quote Originally Posted by Bartleby View Post
    Really? Maybe by the time you bought it it was different, but now it is in stock (at least) on the brazillian amazon for R$42,00 (and it's been for this price for quite a while).
    Que morte horrível. )-: I bought it two weeks ago. I paid R$60. Damn, I feel so dumb, haha.
    The first chapter is so good. It's magic, I don't know how to describe it. It's like those old fairy tales, you know? The blood ones.

Que morte horrível. )-: I bought it two weeks ago. I paid R$60. Damn, I feel so dumb, haha.
    The first chapter is so good. It's magic, I don't know how to describe it. It's like those old fairy tales, you know? The blood ones.
    I am honestly so jealous that you get to experience that book for the first time. It is incredibly good.

That sounds terrific!
    I did hear great things about this book. I'll be reading it next year for my personal "getting to know more nobel wining authors" project

I've never read him myself, but if you guys like Laxness I remember that in an interview Swedish writer and SA member Torgny Lindgren, who passed away earlier this year, named Kristnihald undir Jökli by Laxness as his favorite novel from a Nordic writer.

Yasushi Inoue - Life of a Counterfeiter
    Kobo Abe - The Box Man

Quote Originally Posted by kadare View Post
    Yasushi Inoue - Life of a Counterfeiter
    Kobo Abe - The Box Man
    Glad you have the rush to read Japanese writers. I've always wanted to read Inoue with no results at all. The two novels I've read from Abe, one was excellent, the other one I didn't like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel del Real View Post
    Glad you have the rush to read Japanese writers. I've always wanted to read Inoue with no results at all. The two novels I've read from Abe, one was excellent, the other one I didn't like it.
    I've been hot and cold with Abe, as well. The Box Man is one I didn't care for. In hindsight, however, I think I simply read the novel too quickly. I was still an impatient student at the time, many years before becoming the well-traveled and sophisticated literary sage that I am today .

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel del Real View Post
    I've also read The Hunting Gun by Inoue and found it alright. I think I would've enjoyed it more if I had more knowledge about Japanese culture.

What Abe novels have you read?

Quote Originally Posted by kadare View Post
    I've also read The Hunting Gun by Inoue and found it alright. I think I would've enjoyed it more if I had more knowledge about Japanese culture.

What Abe novels have you read?
    Loved The Woman in the Dunes, but The Face of Another was a very dull read.

Mint condition First American Editions of:

Kazuo Ishiguro - When We Were Orphans

Kazuo Ishiguro - The Unconsoled

Kazuo Ishiguro - Never Let Me Go

$5 each at half price books today

Didn't buy it because it's $1500, but a half price books near me has a huge collection of all of Kipling's works signed by him. Would be cool to own.

^Damn, if I had money like that, I would've snagged those Kipling books. And Never Let Me Go first edition...guess you could say never let it go at least for a while, that'll probably be worth a lot one day.