Recent content by Ater Lividus Ruber & V

1. Ater Lividus Ruber & V

Top ten Latin American novels in the last decade

I don't think it's a real book. I just commented on another thread where the poster confused two authors. Strangely, both involve dead writers posthumously publishing something.
  2. Ater Lividus Ruber & V

Best reads of 2023

I don't believe P.D. James wrote any such book. Perhaps you're confusing her with Rebecca Yarros?
  3. Ater Lividus Ruber & V

David Markson

If a book says you can check it out for an hour or fourteen days, and you click on the button but get "this book isn't available", it's an error. A lot of the time this will happen when they're removing books (not necessarily the book you're trying to access). If you load a book and it says...
  4. Ater Lividus Ruber & V

David Markson

In a nut shell: since many people were at home during the (ongoing) pandemic, they decided to lift their legal restrictions on how many people could borrow a book at once/download an e-book, justifying it by saying people were unable to go to their local libraries. Publishers sued, claiming this...
  5. Ater Lividus Ruber & V

David Markson

We have similar literary paths! That series also got me into reading mysteries, which led to lifelong reading. Great Ace is really long, and the writer/director shows his influences more nakedly. Normally, he twists murder methods/tricks from novels, but the ones in that game are, a lot of the...
  6. Ater Lividus Ruber & V

David Markson

I also had a similar reaction to alik-vit, but I read it at a time when I was immersed in a lot of philosophical tomes for my thesis. It felt a bit lightweight. Not to mention it has some passages where Markson goes for low-hanging fruit (lists a bunch of authors, hey, they won the Nobel Prize...
  7. Ater Lividus Ruber & V

Nobel Prize in Literature 2023

I think a lot of the austere solemnity we're seeing with Malm's announcements is a direct result of the Arnault affair. I'm sure the Nobel Fund wanted the announcements to seem more professional, hence the debriefing panel directly after, reminiscent of the science awards. The situation isn't...
  8. Ater Lividus Ruber & V

Follow-up to his poetry: I didn't realize there had been a collection in English, translated by Dr May-Brit Akerholt and illustrated by Jakub Milcak, published by Shift Fox Press. I'm sure they're trying to bring that back into print because no copies are available...
  9. Ater Lividus Ruber & V

A lot of his plays in English translation are available on the Archive's Library. https://archive.org/search?query=jon+fosse&and%5B%5D=mediatype%3A%22texts%22 I've only read one collection of his poems, Auge I Vind, and his poetry is very, very minimalist, like his prose. I read it maybe six...
  10. Ater Lividus Ruber & V

Nobel Prize in Literature 2023 Speculation

@redhead your time is here
  11. Ater Lividus Ruber & V

"Please make sure to mute your phones." I'm now imagining Malms opening those doors dramatically, walking in, scanning the audience, pausing for dramatic effect, now taking a deep breath, exhaling... poised to open his mouth, and someone's phone goes off.
  12. Ater Lividus Ruber & V

This criteria is very close to what I'd like in this year's laureate, too. If not an author like this, then a poet, please. Great write-up.
  13. Ater Lividus Ruber & V

Yeah, I'm going to edit my post. I don't know how I let that slip. Thanks for pointing it out.
  14. Ater Lividus Ruber & V

Oh, for sure. I don't know if that would be in the opposite direction, though - more like keeping with their trend (in which case, I'd also throw Handke's name as the origin point). In those books about their decisions, I remember them admitting to having guiding themes, like witness...