Recent content by cuchulain

1. C

Best translation of The Oresteia?

Would like to hear of any favorite translations of The Oresteia of Aeschylus. Thought about that again after reading a review of Anne Carson's new translation/recombination . . . of the story of the House of Atreus. She does Aeschylus, Sophocles and Euripedes, instead of staying with Aeschylus...
  2. C

Researching new novel: Request for information

I'm currently in the process of researching a new novel. It will be set in Nazi-occupied France, mostly Paris. Some flashbacks will involve Spain and the Spanish Civil War. I am looking for information about life in the French Resistance, and some logistical details such as train schedules in...
  3. C

Romani Literature

Thanks again for the additional information. Tis helpful.
  4. C

Romani Literature

Appreciate your effort. I mentioned the thread-starting thing because it looks like Stewart actually started this thread, after I asked about the Roma in General Chat. I'll eventually get the hang of things here. :)
  5. C

Romani Literature

I wish I spoke German. Looks like a ton of info . . .
  6. C

Romani Literature

Much appreciated. :)
  7. C

Romani Literature

Irene, thanks. It's something I'd really like to discover. If it's out there. Yes, they are private. Understandably so. But my guess is they would have the source material for tremendously interesting stories. And the world should know more about their persecution through the ages. It's similar...
  8. C

Romani Literature

I have to remember just to start threads meself. ;) Anyway . . . the Romani are among the most vilified and oppressed people in the world. From the article above, it would seem they remain an oral culture, for the most part. I think it would be fascinating, however, to discover their...
  9. C

Romani Literature

Anyone here know anything about Roma literature in translation? Found this on the Net. Hoping it's not exhaustive. Gypsy Lit
  10. C

Dutch Literature

Another thanks. Looks like Amazement is a must-read.
  11. C

Dutch Literature

Thanks, nnyhav. Did not know of that publisher. Definitely want to get Wonder.
  12. C

Boris Vian: Foam Of The Daze

Recently finished Boris Vian's wonderful L'Ecume Des Jours, translated by Brian Harper as Foam of the Daze. First time I read it, it was translated as Mood Indigo. Wonderful book. Dada. Pataphysics. Slap stick. Crazy, with a bit of satire and social commentary thrown in. Any book that has...
  13. C

Brazilian Literature

Have read one novel by Osman Lins. The Queen of the Prisons of Greece. Strong novel. Liked it a great deal. Unique talent. I don't think I've read anyone quite like him before or since. Have not heard of the other writer, though.
  14. C

Brazilian Literature

Re: Fernando Pessoa: The Book Of Disquiet To move a bit off topic (but staying with the Portuguese language), have any of you read Rachel De Queiroz's The Three Marias? ****0 One of my favorite books. Brazilian author. Brilliant. Also, Anguish ****0, by Graciliano Ramos. Another Brazilian...