Recent content by DouglasM

1. DouglasM

Nigerian Literature

I know it's a completely irrelevant commentary, but I really think Nigeria has some of the coolest book titles in literature.
  2. DouglasM

WLF Prize in Literature 2024

My votes: - Paulina Chiziane - Mariana Enríquez - Jhumpa Lahiri Had a hard time choosing between Lahiri, Condé and Han Kang.
  3. DouglasM

Nobel Prize in Literature 2023

Impressive. I just got severe depression just by watching Mats Malm speak. He's the enemy of joy.
  4. DouglasM

WLF Prize in Literature 2024

Please, let us remember Paulina Chiziane and Mariana Enriquez this time.
  5. DouglasM

Recently Begun Books

Same thing here. I had read L'Événement last year, when she won the Nobel, and liked it immensely, so I went to read Les années with great expectations. Unfortunately, I'm finding it bland, boring and almost dropping it.
  6. DouglasM

WLF Prize in Literature 2023

Maybe saying it openly helps to manipulate things in my favor. ?
  7. DouglasM

WLF Prize in Literature 2023

My list of three women is ready and none of them is European or North American.
  8. DouglasM

WLF Reading List 2022

Well, if it makes you feel better I went from reading 50+ books a year to reading only 3 since January. ?
  9. DouglasM

WLF Reading List 2022

I love how diverse @Daniel del Real's and @tiganeasca's lists are. Many names to add to the ever-growing TBR pile.
  10. DouglasM

Books that made you cry

I'm exactly the opposite of some fellow readers here: I rarely, if ever, cry at movies, but literature and music have the power to touch me deeper in this regard. I remember crying while reading these authors: - Svetlana Alexievitch (Voices from Chernobyl and The Unwomanly Face of War); - Yu...
  11. DouglasM

The youtube music video thread

This video is very powerful.
  12. DouglasM

Introduce yourself

Welcome aboard, Ben! I know very little of the literature being produced in Nigeria nowadays, please do share some names you like when you got the time to spare. Greetings from Brazil.
  13. DouglasM

Recently Begun Books

I'm fascinated by the revelations in your post. I mean, revelations for me, considering I've only read a few of his works in translation, never in the original - the one exception being Freya of the Seven Isles, but I don't recall noticing such a strange use of language, probably because I'm not...
  14. DouglasM

Cormac McCarthy

This caught me off guard: by now, I wasn't hoping to see anything new by McCarthy. I'm happy to be wrong. If there's a new Cormac McCarthy book on the way, then maybe life can be a little less difficult. (not for this characters)