Recent content by Johan

1. J

Swedish Literature

Lotta Lotass is self-publishing her latest novel Sparta. 300 copies, rave reviews. I lucked out and managed to get one. Unfortunately she is also doing her own shipping, so it might take a while before I receive it. She has a history of unusual publishing choices. Some of her work is available...
  2. J

Swedish Literature

This makes me sad: Billigaste l?sfesten - DN.se In short, it's a real stores v.s online stores price test in Dagens Nyheter, a generally decent daily owned by Bonnier, a publishing giant. They found the cheapest alternative to be Adlibris.com, also owned by Bonnier. About half of the books used...
  3. J

Swedish Literature

You must be talking about this: En fartblind bokbransch | Kulturnyheter | SvD A depressing read, but nothing I didn't already know. As long as Swedes keep buying crime "novels" and cook books in droves I don't see any changes taking place in the foreseeable future.
  4. J

Swedish Literature

Pynchon bores me and I'm not a big fan of Obama, but you have a point. On the other hand I think all European countries, except maybe France and Spain, constantly compare themselves to the U.S. It's natural, nothing to be ashamed of. I found the manifesto a sad non-event, a bunch of...
  5. J

Swedish Literature

Good review, I should have done a search before I posted. One tiny complaint: you claim that she exaggerates Gagarin's flight by extending it from 1 to 14 orbits. As I understood it the latter feat was accomplished(and attributed to by Lotass) by Gherman Titov, the second man in space. But do...
  6. J

Swedish Literature

You might have a point, but I'm not sure. If they really wanted to promote her they would get her translated, which has to my knowledge not happened yet, even though the type of literature she concocts is a lot more popular in the U.S.
  7. J

Swedish Literature

Flykthastigheten is not her latest book, from 2004 according to wiki. I count 17 releases in 10 years, including web-only stuff. A little intimidating. You must be talking about Den Svarta Solen, which seems to be her most difficult and strangely also most widely distributed work. I own it, but...
  8. J

Swedish Literature

Earlier this week I finished Lotta Lotass's Tredje Flykthastigheten(The Third Escape Velocity). What a great book. It's about Yuri Gagarin and the early days of the Soviet space program, narrated by about a dozen of the people involved, mostly cosmonauts. The style alternates between deeply...
  9. J

Swedish Literature

I just saw it, Lindgren stole the show. Babel | SVT Play (In Swedish)
  10. J

Swedish Literature

She can be found at ?stra Kyrkog?rden, G?teborg. A shared plaque in a small family grave, but she compensates by having a street named after her and a statue in her likeness outside the city library. And a library bearing her name, it appears. My maternal grandmother had Boye as a substitute...
  11. J

Swedish Literature

By chance I found Karin Boye's grave in a nearby cemetary today, and I felt a little guilty for never having read a single line by her, except maybe in school as a child. So, can someone familiar with her recommend something? Kallocain?
  12. J

Swedish Literature

All I can tell you is that Per Hagman has reputation as a somewhat silly person, and that I really liked Ajvide Lindqvist's "L?t den r?tte komma in", and that's coming from someone who usually falls asleep at the first mention of anything supernatural. The movie is also great.
  13. J

Swedish Literature

Out of idle curiosity I did a quick search at the major online books stores, it appears that only one of Kyrklund's works is currently in print: Polyfem F?rvandlad. There should be a special tribunal in The Hague for criminally negligent publishers.
  14. J

Swedish Literature

Eric, you may or may not be aware of this recently published massive collection of Swedish and Finnish-Swedish poetry. On CD, read by various actors and packaged in a nice box. I belong to the minority who believe that poetry should be read, not heard, but even I am slightly tempted. Dikt...
  15. J

Palestinian Literature

Re: Palestinian Literature I just got Ghassan Kanafani's Men in the Sun. Will start on it soon and report back.