Recent content by lenz

1. L

Polish Literature

Sorry for this late reply but I just saw your post. The reason that non-latin letters and diacritical marks are not often used in English translation of names is that there are few English readers who would understand the pronunciation they represent.
  2. L

Yuri Rytkheu: A Dream in Polar Fog

This short novel is well worth reading for its detailed and loving "insider's" picture of a people whose ancient way of life, which used to be called primitive by "outsiders," is slowly being being modernised and, according to the author, morally corrupted. The Chukchi people of northeastern...
  3. L

Boston in November

I decided on a whim to go to Boston (USA not UK) for a few days - in November! Does anybody know the city to recommend things? There is a Degas exhibition at the museum. Good bookstores?
  4. L

Nuruddin Farah: Knots

Knots – Nuruddin Farah It was interest in a fictional picture of life in the war-ravaged, ungoverned city of Mogadishu (Mogadiscio here) that drew me to this novel; I find, however, that there is not only no glimpse of life, fictional or real, among the ruins, but there is hardly any novel here...
  5. L

Whither the WLF?

Where is everyone? I've never seen such a scarcity of posts as in the last five or six days. Even Eric has disappeared! Congratulations if you're working too hard at real jobs to blog.
  6. L

Literature Prize

A new rival to the Man Booker. Excellence not compromised by "readability" apparently. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-15265212
  7. L

Petina Gappah: An Elegy For Easterly

Petina Gappah is an international trade lawyer, of all things, but is also a very good short story writer. Her collection, An Elegy for Easterly is (so far, a few stories in) admirably low key, yet moving and full of interesting looks into Zimbabwean life. I like her work a lot.
  8. L

quotation source

Does anybody know the source of this phrase? Or something like it, "Christians, Jews, Muslims, Buddhists, Zoroastrians, Holy Rollers(etc.) and International Jewel Thieves." I had thought it was D.H. Lawrence but I can't find it anywhere. Anybody have any quotations that need identifying? This is...
  9. L

no cursor

Where is the cursor in new threads box? It's like walking in a thick fog. And you can't go back except by erasing what you've done.
  10. L

Es'kia Mphahlele

I just discovered this writer in a collection of stories called "In Corner B." Apparently very famous and important in South Africa and in France, at least, he is compared to Nelson Mandela as a leader of the anti-apartheid movement. His voice is astonishingly gentle, considering the violence...
  11. L

database error

I can't send quick replies because of "database error," whatever that is. Only advanced box works. A search led to a dbe, as well.
  12. L

French Literature

Thanks, Lionel. That article goes some way to explaining it. What seemed most strange to me was that the stories themselves are not structurally confusing but they are read through a kind of intricate lacework of words. I'm not sure that that helps to convey the meaning or even the ambiguity or...
  13. L

French Literature

I've just read Marie Ndiaye's Trois Femmes Puissante and found it particularly difficult to read. I'm not a fluent reader but I was more often stumped by the syntax in this book than in almost any French book I've read. Is it just me, or does anyone else who reads her in French notice this...
  14. L

Anjali Joseph wins Desmond Elliot Prize 2011

I've always wanted to scoop one of these: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-13890900
  15. L

Anjali Joseph wins Desmond Elliot Prize

I've always wanted to scoop one of these: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-13890900