Recent content by Marba

1. M

Nobel Prize in Literature 1973

For those of you who are interested in reading more about the decision, but are not able to beacuse of the pay-wall, here is a translation of Kaj Schueler's article from Svenska Dagbladet. White's Nobel Prize – the calm before the storm. For the first time, the Nobel Prize in Literature went...
  2. M

Nobel Prize in Literature 1973

In 1973 Patrick White was awarded the Nobel Prize "for an epic and psychological narrative art which has introduced a new continent into literature" and now when 50 years have passed the list of nominees for 1973 has been released. 101 writers were suggested. The same number as in 1972, but...
  3. M

Tucholsky Prize

On October 12th the Tucholsky Prize 2023 was awarded by Swedish PEN to the Ukrainian writer Serhiy Zhadan. Prize motivation: "To one of the most significant and distinct voices in contemporary Ukrainian literature. As a writer, Serhiy Zhadan unapologetically depicts the war of aggression...
  4. M

Nobel Prize in Literature 2023

On the Bokmål/Nynorsk I read the following in a Swedish interview with Fosse from last year: "A few meters up the street is Nynorsk's national stage Det norske teatret (The Norwegian Theatre), where the second international Fosse Festival is currently underway. With a twinkle in his eye, Jon...
  5. M

With Jila Mossaed in the SA I think there could be better chances than earlier for a Persian/Farsi-language laureate in the coming years.
  6. M

For the Nobel Prizes the laureate decisions are split up between different institutions (though the Physics and Chemistry Prizes are both prepared by 2 different Nobel Committees in the Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences). The Peace Prize is not even Swedish, but instead awarded in Norway. Sure...
  7. M

Nobel for Literature Quiz

Yeah, this one I wasn't really sure how to treat. According to Wikipedia: Morrison became a Catholic at the age of 12 and took the baptismal name Anthony (after Anthony of Padua), which led to her nickname, Toni. And I understand she got the Morrison from her husband, Harold Morrison.
  8. M

It's a presentation of the prize for students (aged 14-15) who will do school work based on it. Among other things they talk about the difference between Nynorsk och Bokmål, the accessability of Fosse's work, about the SA in general, the process how to select a laureate, what is needed for...
  9. M

Nobel for Literature Quiz

1960 laureate Saint-John Perse was a pseudonym for Alexis Leger
  10. M

I just watched an interview from last year with Fosse where he goes through the Fosse archive at the Norwegian National Library. I hope he has learnt to handle success and awards a bit better nowadays ? "The first text I can recognize is the one called "Him". I won a short story competition...
  11. M

From the critics in the TV studio as good starting points one suggested Morning and Evening or a short-story collection, the second suggested Closed Guitar, and the third suggested the Septology. It was actually brought up in the TV studio that it was brave of the SA to dare to award someone...
  12. M

Yes, you are correct. This was mentioned in the Swedish TV broadcast.
  13. M

Fosse interviewed by Norwegian TV: I was surprised, but I know I've been in the speculations for about 10 years so I was a bit ready for it. It is an acknowledgement of the more than 50 works I have published for 40 years. I don't compete with my earlier writings, I am just happy to write and...
  14. M

A Swedish drama publisher names "Someone Is Going to Come Home" and "I Am the Wind" as her favourite plays from Fosse.
  15. M

Nobel Prize in Literature 2023 Speculation

Anne Swärd from the Nobel Committee wants to highlight Fosse's plays. Preferable when reading a work from Fosse one should lock oneself in and read the work from beginning to end.