Recent content by Mise Eire

1. Mise Eire

Helen Vendler (1933-2024)

Close friend of Seamus Heaney - besides being colleagues at Harvard, she was one of the 2 guests, besides family, he was permitted to invite to the 1995 Stockholm ceremony. I'm sure she was a strong advocate in his being chosen as a Laureate.
  2. Mise Eire

David Markson

Would love to read some of her love notes to you. I'm sure you kept them. Interested in her literary style of course.
  3. Mise Eire

Recent Purchases/Borrowings

Won't spoil the ending but whet the appetite - top notch lyrical flourish.
  4. Mise Eire

Ten Memorable Beginnings of Novels at the Beginning of the Year (Google translation from Portuguese)

If I am out of my mind, it's alright with me thought Moses Herzog. (Saul Bellow, Herzog, 1964)
  5. Mise Eire

Non-Writer Obituaries

The prurient will focus on his lifestyle choices and frequent inebriation but simply put the man was a gifted musician and poet when focused. Bob Dylan was awarded a Nobel Prize for his addition to The Great American Songbook, whatever that is. (Is there a Great Portuguese Songbook or Great...
  6. Mise Eire

What author have you read the most books of?

Yes Burgess , such an impressive talent - from dystopian novels, to science fiction, historical period pieces, spy novels, biographical fiction and non-fiction, language, music (these latter 2 with an expert practitioner's insight), he was unafraid to take on any genre and could pull it off...
  7. Mise Eire

What author have you read the most books of?

14____Patrick White______Novels , Short Stories & Autobiography 22____Anthony Burgess___Novels, Short Stories, Non-fiction, Autobiographies
  8. Mise Eire

Nobel Prize in Literature 2023

Less so with other genres, But poetry in translation is never quite the same.
  9. Mise Eire

I've searched on Youtube the announcements for years 2005-2017**. Cannot locate earlier ones and from 2018 onwards (M . Malm era) the audience was managed by invite only with no crowding around the lectern by reporters, fans and photographers. Two winners in particular elicit almost no...
  10. Mise Eire

Just plain inattention on my part, but just now realizing Daniel's avatar is none other than ...THOSE doors.
  11. Mise Eire

Totally agree. Access to the announcement room was much less managed and controlled before 2018. Back then you could hear and appreciate audible gasps and assorted "hootin' & hollerin" from the common folk when the winner's name became known.
  12. Mise Eire

This development makes no sense and is a terrible loss. The Nobel endowment is doing very well financially - the prize money increases each year. I was appalled when I saw Gurnah holding his diploma. No elegance or art - just like some employee-of-the-month certificate knocked off from the...
  13. Mise Eire

Nobel Prize in Literature 2023 Speculation

I had a mid-day reverie about the announcement. The heavy white doors open, camera shutters go beserk, Mats Malm steps out. He starts his opening greeting remarks and suddenly succumbs to a fit of coughing, it continues to get worse to the extent that it looks like a Mr. Bean episode. Other...
  14. Mise Eire

https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poets/nuala-ni-dhomhnaill The dark horse of them all, Nuala Ni Dhomnaill. Staunch believer of female empowerment through language, she writes in her native Gaelic. Female, poet, native language adherent, she could satisfy an SA majority if not this year, then...
  15. Mise Eire

... but Lessing and Pinter were selections made long after their best work had been published. Maybe it should be labelled in the SA annals as The Borges Regret Factor.