Recent content by Morbid Swither

1. Morbid Swither

Recent Purchases/Borrowings

New book purchases this month have arrived: Sobbing Superpower: Selected Poems of Tadeusz Rozewicz Warda, translation of Dar Al-Mustaqbal, by Sonallah Ibrahim
  2. Morbid Swither

Ishmael Reed: The Free-Lance Pallbearers

As the year comes to a close, I am binging/deep-diving the American author Ishmael Reed, now 85. His poetry, novels, plays, essays and activism have long been an elephant in the room as far as my intentional reading, if not my attention in general, is concerned. I just reread The Freelance...
  3. Morbid Swither

WLF Prize in Literature 2024

I’m so agonized here! These three writes compromise my ultimate choices (solid top 3) for the Nobel 2024! Kadare actually makes so much sense right now, finally, just reread The General of the Dead Army, and it just decimates my emotions and knowledge, as I see Gaza and Ukraine, our very...
  4. Morbid Swither

Nobel Prize in Literature 2023 Speculation

Just a friendly reminder that Bae Suah could be a fascinating first Korean laureate (also translates fascinating authors from the German). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bae_Suah
  5. Morbid Swither

This is pretty close to what I’m speculating for this year as well. But my wildcard is Alexis Wright or Joy Harjo.
  6. Morbid Swither

I actually posted this a few pages back. No matter. But yes, I really adore her! That’s all I’m emphasizing. She’s absolutely darling, and her books are really just visionary. I’m not saying her style is akin, per se, but one of the most exhilarating reading experiences since Toni Morrison, for me.
  7. Morbid Swither

I’m only two books shy of having read all of Lobo Antunes in English as of this posting and it has been phenomenally rewarding. He’s a perennial I’m rooting for, but as others have expressed, I see this as not happening this year for some reason. Rushdie = nah. Personally, I am CRAVING to read...
  8. Morbid Swither

Thank you for mentioning this, and this work also is a tad experimental in form because it boasts being a “collective biography” (as well as winning a major award). Previously someone had mentioned that she only authored four books (but actually that’s novels only)! And she is a dedicated editor...
  9. Morbid Swither

Speaking for just myself, I don’t think Murnane is the only Australian English language author, I’d consider a frontrunner. Edit: Australian/Oceana as well as South Africa have a significant number of worthy laureates, I think. Murnane, for sure. Alexis Wright really impresses and inspires...
  10. Morbid Swither

Khaled Khalifa (1964-2023)

Devastating news, I was just reading notice of his passing elsewhere before I came here. Such a talented writer. I had preordered his novel No One Prayed Over Their Graves and finished it by the end of the month it released this summer. Incredible. A great writer in Arabic and I imagine a...
  11. Morbid Swither

She goes by X now :) Thank you. This is the kind of cheap humor I find tedious, because in this case it’s just totally unfounded.
  12. Morbid Swither

I always have that fear, but maybe just have faith it will all be glorious. Lol
  13. Morbid Swither

Thought I would share this link as it may be of wider interest. I have not yet read Praiseworthy (but did preorder the forthcoming New Directions release), but Carpentaria is likely the best book I’ve read this year so far, and I also enjoyed The Swan Book. I find her to be a very inspiring...