Recent content by Skinnyfists

1. Skinnyfists

Nobel Prize in Literature 2023

Massively well deserved. The Septology is a masterpiece. Huge congratulations to Mr Fosse and various translators!
  2. Skinnyfists

Nobel Prize in Literature 2023 Speculation

Ok I'm calling it. Jenny Erpenbeck.
  3. Skinnyfists

Doesn't matter if they picked stone cold female bangers, is my point. The boys have had their turn. In terms of dodgy motivations, I'd say the worse of the two would be having reinforced the hegemony of the patriarchy since the inception of the prize.
  4. Skinnyfists

My two cents on the male/female laureate (ratio of winners) debate - my logic is: 1. There is an equal number of brilliant male and female writers. Or, alternatively, there are many more brilliant female writers than the SA would ever be able to award the Nobel to (given it's only one a year)...
  5. Skinnyfists

17 books by Duong Thu Huong available in the SA library...could it be her year?
  6. Skinnyfists

Lorna Goodison...how do we rate her chances? People have also been quiet on Ulitskaya this year. She often came up in conversations in previous years. I'm doing some last minute reading of some Ersi Sotiropoulos...why not...it's all part of the fun... ??
  7. Skinnyfists

How do we rate the chances of Peter Nadas? I feel like if there's any of the old guard in the SA left who advocated for Handke, Nadas is exactly the sort of person they'd now have their sights on. The English language translation of his memoirs is being published in two volumes later in the year.
  8. Skinnyfists

Where would you start with Nadine Gordimer? PS Has anyone heard of this guy below? Came across him whilst browsing...distinct vibe of unknown geezer who wins the Nobel whilst we all assume it's a dead heat between Jon Fosse and Can Xue - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norbert_Gstrein
  9. Skinnyfists

Could the Neustadt provide some clues/ideas this year? https://www.worldliteraturetoday.org/blog/news-and-events/world-literature-today-announces-finalists-2024-neustadt-international-prize
  10. Skinnyfists

Javier Marias (1951-2022)

Can I ask - is it a bad idea to read the forthcoming translation into English of Tomas Nevinson without having read Berta Isla first? Or is it standalone but part of the same universe (eg Le Carre's Smiley novels etc)? I get the sense Marias is about language over plot anyway (having read the...
  11. Skinnyfists

Favorite Films

I need to check out Code Inconnu! I caught 71 Fragments recently expecting early, not-brilliant Haneke and was like...shit this is majorly good.
  12. Skinnyfists

Favorite Films

Here's a quick 20 in no particular order (except Buffalo 66 which is my favourite) - Buffalo 66 71 Fragments in a Chronology of Chance Vortex Water Lilies The Mother and the Whore The Conversation The Great Beauty Drive my Car Hard to be a God Soul Henry Fool Mary and Max Stalker No Country...
  13. Skinnyfists

WLF Prize in Literature 2023

The two Yokos split the vote!
  14. Skinnyfists

Nobel Prize in Literature 2022

I really love the Fitzcarraldo aesthetic: - - beautiful minimalist designs which look great on the shelf together (ruins alphabetising your collection but worth the sacrifice!). That Yves Klein blue... - French flaps (fans and detractors; I personally think it's classy) - Font also great...
  15. Skinnyfists

WLF Prize in Literature 2023

Just voted. 1. Marie NDiaye 2. Yoko Ogawa 3. Cynan Jones