The Common Reader's latest activity

• The Common Reader
    The Common Reader replied to the thread Pulitzer Prizes.
    The article here indicates that "she emigrated to the United States in 1989." But her Wikipedia biography lists her nationality as...
  • The Common Reader
    The Common Reader reacted to Bartleby's post in the thread Pulitzer Prizes with Like Like.
    In the copyright section of the book's English language edition it is stated: There is no translator credited. Taking a quick look at...
  • The Common Reader
    The Common Reader replied to the thread Pulitzer Prizes.
    https://stories.uh.edu/2024-rivera-garza-pulitzer/index.html Whose house? Coogs' house! (The University of Houston mascot is a cougar.)
  • The Common Reader
    The Common Reader reacted to Bartleby's post in the thread César Aira with Love Love.
    https://www.theguardian.com/news/article/2024/may/07/cesar-airas-unreal-magic-how-the-eccentric-author-took-over-latin-american-literature
  • The Common Reader
    I highly recommend Just Above My Head, it is everything you said about Baldwin's late work (passionate, lived-in, and messy) and much...
  • The Common Reader
    The Common Reader reacted to dc007777's post in the thread Recently finished books? with Like Like.
    Tales of the City, More Tales of the City, Further Tales of the City, and Babycakes-Armistead Maupin. First four books in Maupin's...
  • The Common Reader
    The Common Reader replied to the thread Jon Fosse.
    I just came across this essay by the translator of some of Fosse's plays into (American) English...
  • The Common Reader
    The Common Reader reacted to Hamishe22's post in the thread What do you do? with Like Like.
    Loved reading these pages to learn more about people who post here! I'm an expert on US and a foreign policy consultant and work for...
  • The Common Reader
    The Common Reader reacted to alik-vit's post in the thread What do you do? with Love Love.
    I know, folks, you are not big fans of gardening, but I want to boast of my newest "pet". It's imperial fritillary. I planted the bulbs...
  • The Common Reader
    The Common Reader reacted to Liam's post in the thread What do you do? with Love Love.
    I actually love to garden, but yeah, urban living and all. NYC is like one big concrete jungle. I love staying at my friend's house in...
  • The Common Reader
    The Common Reader reacted to alik-vit's post in the thread What do you do? with Like Like.
    It's viola tricolor. Russian nickname of this flower is Eyes of little Anna (Anyuta), which is a little bit scary. This time of year we...
  • The Common Reader
    The Common Reader reacted to Leseratte's post in the thread What do you do? with Like Like.
    In Portuguese the name of this flower is "Perfect Love " and in German "Little Stepmother" because of the sullen expression of its "face".
  • The Common Reader
    The Common Reader reacted to kpjayan's post in the thread What do you do? with Like Like.
    imagine the long wait of one year for this flower to bloom for one night and wilt before dawn ( a life of 6 hrs). Last time, he/she...
  • The Common Reader
    The Common Reader reacted to alik-vit's post in the thread What do you do? with Like Like.
    We have this one in the Botanic garden of SPb, and it's great annual attraction for visitors (night opening, etc.). But your flower is...
  • The Common Reader
    The Common Reader reacted to Ленин's post in the thread Recently finished books? with Like Like.
    Anne Carson - Eros the Bittersweet, an essay. - This is my favorite work by Anne Carson so far. Well researched, extremely well written...