Search results

1. A

Not again

Months ago I began to visit this site much less often out of frustration. On those rare occasions when I tried to post, posts were often blocked because I was told that I wasn't logged in (when I patently was) or that I needed to have permission to post. There was a thread here about the...
  2. A

Hungarian Literature

Yes. It's great fun to read, and no doubt was great fun for Szerb to write, and whilst I'm glad to have come upon it it isn't memorable and certainly isn't a deathless classic.
  3. A

Brazilian Literature

Does anyone know what sort of reputation Bernardo Carvalho might have in Brazil? I know he's a journalist who's won some sort of award, but that's about all. Only two of his novels seem to be available in English; though neither is Deathless Great Writing, I enjoyed both and found Nine Nights...
  4. A

Hungarian Literature

Have recently read Laszlo Krasznahorkai, War and War, and it made so strong an impression that I thought his name should be added here. Don't think it's been mentioned that the Karinthy who wrote Metropole is the son of the Karinthy who wrote Journey Round My Skull. Geza Csath's diary is...
  5. A

Finnish Literature

A belated thanks to Eric for mentioning the North Wind site. Of the relatively few books from Finland I've read all but two were originally in Swedish. I'm curious whether this reflects a bias in translation or whether it's simply chance that I happened upon the books I did. (The two from...
  6. A

German Literature

Has Mirabell or anyone able to read German read anything by Ror Wolf? and if so, what is his writing like? I came upon his name for the first time yesterday and his Two or Three Years Later sounds very appealing. It doesn't seem to have been translated into English, though. As for female...
  7. A

Danish Literature

Thanks, Flower. Shall be looking for more info on Sven Holm (and others on your list.) Lund interests me because he was apparently quite a brilliant scientist who had a crisis/breakdown in Brazil and never, as I remember, returned to Denmark. The second novel in Stangerup's trilogy, The...
  8. A

Danish Literature

Sorry--P.W., or Peter William, Lund. He too had an interesting connection: was an in-law of Kierkegaard's. What you say about Sarvig being required reading is interesting; I'd no idea whether he was obscure or reasonably well-known in Denmark. Certainly he seems unknown in British Isles...
  9. A

Danish Literature

Machine is on my to-read list, so good to hear an opnion of it. I hadn't know that Stangerup had the connection with Soderberg. . .and I've had little luck trying to find information on Lund, the scientist who was the protagonist of Stangerup's Road to Lagoa Santo. I've read quite a queer...
  10. A

Southern Literature

Wonderful suggestion, Bubba. One doesn't often see mention of Green, at least in the English-speaking world. I was very surprised to see Stoner on one of the lists. In what way is it Southern? or is it simply that I've forgotten that aspect of the book? To me there is very much a Southern feel...