Search results

1. N

Nobel Prize in Literature 2023

That's odd, it wasn't yesterday when i came across the article... but it is for me now, too.
  2. N

And here are Philip Hensher's views. Philip Hensher's rarely said anything that makes me think I should pay much attention to his views, and continues in that vein here. https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/why-did-jon-fosse-win-the-nobel-prize-for-literature-its-baffling/
  3. N

WLF Prize in Literature 2024

Next year maybe! If others are anything like me, I have her to read over the course of the next year anyway (along with lots of other names who crop up on the speculation thread) and maybe if others do the same she'll do even better in the nom process for 2025...
  4. N

WLF Prize 2024 - Lyudmila Ulitskaya

This resonated with my feelings about The Big Green Tent - they've improved since I read it.
  5. N

WLF Prize 2024 - Lyudmila Ulitskaya

I've read The Big Green Tent. It was very good, if a little "baggy". I've also read The Funeral Party which like Hayden I found to be... fine. A bit dry, didn't especially enjoy it, didn't hate it. I found Just The Plague to be much the same. I suspect she's better on a bigger canvas. I'd like...
  6. N

Nobel Prize in Literature 2020

How sad: https://apnews.com/article/louise-gluck-dies-38648b2dc19644e11f42319145692943?taid=65299cefd1045700016932da&utm_campaign=TrueAnthem&utm_medium=AP&utm_source=Twitter
  7. N

Well, if you can't see how having an extra name on a list helps to achieves making an award to a deserving writer, or think it conflicts with that aim, then I cannot help you. And if you've not observed some of the commentary in the past from people who are concerned about the commitment...
  8. N

I don't really understand why not. There are plenty of reasons why you would. To ensure there remain a good dose of fresh names, because it gives old names a chance again, because arguably most people would already have read the books of the previous nominee so it's not a significant addition to...
  9. N

Personally, I haven't voted for any of the previous "finalists" because it's just good to be thinking about some new writers. I'd possibly think about nominating previous finalists in a year or two. I wouldn't be averse to something that says the runner up from the previous year was...
  10. N

The Next Generation: Future Nobel Prizewinners?

I read Sing, Unburied, Sing when it came out... I remember it being pretty impressive, though I'm a bit hazy on the detail.
  11. N

I agree about Compass. I've also read Tell Them of Battles, Kings & Elephants which I thought was great. The Annual Banquet of the Gravedigger's Guild looks great, and I'm very excited to try that one.
  12. N

Just putting these names out there in case they spark any voting inspiration (my votes will most likely come from here): Louise Erdrich Jamaica Kincaid Maryse Condé Alexis Wright Marilynne Robinson Hwang Sok-yong
  13. N

I read Lahiri's The Namesake recently, it had Nobel quality written all over it - I read The Lowland when it was published and had mostly forgotten how good it was. She just needs to write a bit more.
  14. N

He and Fernanda Melchor seem like nailed-on laureate candidates, to me. Clemens Meyer & Mathias Enard aren't far off, either.
  15. N

I would say no. I've never observed anything I can recognise as impact between the prizes.
  16. N

1 minute in... "Morning and Evening... a wonderful tale from 2000... about an old man.... going to die." Really selling it to the masses, that. :ROFLMAO:
  17. N

Broadly agree. Certainly not Europe, not US/Canada. Probably still not Africa. Probably a woman, probably not in English (but only probably). I wouldn't be set on Can Xue though. I doubt they'll go for an obvious candidate 3 years in a row.
  18. N

I can name Spanish writers too, no need for chat GPT. I'm not sure what that proves. Through observing the discussions we've had this year, I think it's completely fair to say that there's not a Spanish-language novelist who's really in the running.
  19. N

Now Marias is dead, I think it's broadly agreed there's not really a Spanish-language novelist who's really in the running. However... that is for another year, on another thread!