Search results

1. A

National Book Awards, 2023

Torres had an excellent essay "It had to be gold" anthologized in Best American Essays 2022 for those who have access to that volume.
  2. A

Neustadt International Prize for Literature

I read Eve out of her ruins a few years ago. I remember it being decent. Deep Vellum (her publisher in English) is a good publisher by the way.
  3. A

WLF Prize 2024 - Anne Carson

Just picked up Float. (Thanks Penn State Library!) I’ll let y’all know how it is.
  4. A

WLF Prize in Literature 2024

That was me. I unfortunately didn't sway anyone.
  5. A

I did get a really funny look when I Inter library loaned it myself.
  6. A

Does Duong Thu Huong have a work in English that could be considered representative?
  7. A

I’ll go to bat for Nox as a representative work. That book knocked me over.
  8. A

That's good, I didn't think about that. I'll edit the citation.
  9. A

1) Anne Carson 2) Adonis 3) Taylor Swift I have citations too, in case that sways anyone: Anne Carson, Canadian poet and essayist - for a poet who combines the ancient with the intensely modern to unveil new horizons in both the poem and the essay, thus creating a literary legacy all her own...
  10. A

Nobel Prize in Literature 2023 Speculation

Guessed it 2 years in a row! That makes me . . . 2/9. Ha ha
  11. A

Shoot there's 203 people on the forum right now
  12. A

I still think it's Fosse's year
  13. A

Here's who I've got: 1) Jon Fosse 2) Can Xue 3) Lazlo Krasznahorkai 4) Yan Lianke 5) Yoko Tawada
  14. A

Oh ha ha! That one flew right over my head.
  15. A

Yeah, that’s good stuff!
  16. A

I like the Christmas album, I think it hits on my favorite thing about Christmas music that other Christmas albums don’t convey. That is that the best thing about it is singing it with people you love. Your Dad (or maybe just mine) who can’t hit a note, your friends whose voices run rings...
  17. A

I'd be happy to be wrong! If she wins that means more translations, and she might have something that's not currently translated that really connects with me.
  18. A

I look to the history of the prize when I see the high odds of someone like Can Xue. Her work is pretty experimental (to put it mildly) and it really pushes the boundaries of prose forms like the novel and the short story as far as content, narrative structure, and perspective go. I feel like...
  19. A

Children's classics recommendations?

I vote for the works of Bill Peet. He was my favorite children’s author growing up.