Search results

1. A

Munshi Premchand

I was browsing in the library the other day (read wandering around) and I stumbled on a bunch of works by Premchand. I got to wondering why this guy had so many books in the library, then when I looked him up I found that he is a major Indian writer who I had never encountered before! Does...
  2. A

Archipelago books is offering 30 of their ebooks for free!

Archipelago books is offering 30 of their ebooks for free through April 2nd. Pick some up now before it ends!
  3. A

Yan Lianke

Does anyone have any experience reading Yan Lianke, the Chinese writer? I’m thinking about picking up one of his books for the new year, but I’m not sure which is good to read first.
  4. A

Fiction writers who are also great essayists

Can you think any fiction writers (prose fiction, plays, poems) who also write really engaging essays?
  5. A

Kamau Brathwaite

Has anyone read him? He won the Neustadt, so I’m thinking about picking him up, does anyone have opinions on a good place to start?
  6. A

Francisco Umbral

Ran across this guy when looking at previous winners of the Cervantes. He seems interesting in an abrasive, Camilo Jose Cela esque way. Does anyone have opinions on the best thing to read first by him?
  7. A

Out of fashion great writers

I've been thinking about great writers who are out of fashion today for various reasons. I think of writers like Philip Roth or maybe Henry James. Writers who might be read by academics but aren't really at the front of the popular imagination. Anyone have any opinions on writers they consider...
  8. A

Tierno Monenembo

Ran across this Guinean writer that I had never heard of, has anyone read him, and have opinions?
  9. A

Major world playwright reading suggestions

I've read a lot of the major English language playwrights, but I've been on a play reading kick recently, and I was wondering if anyone had any recs for major world playwrights, contemporary or classic.
  10. A

Methuen Contemporary Dramatist series

Just found this series looking for Handke in English. Has anybody read some volumes from this series? If so, are there any volumes/playwrights that I should find copies of?