Search results

1. E

Nobel Prize in Literature 2022 Speculation

I couldn't participate in the discussion this year as I didn't even have time to read the whole threadbut I wanted to make my predictions here anyway: The winner will not write in English. She will be European or Asian or Latin American. Most likely European. Not a poet. In her 60s or 70s. So...
  2. E

Nobel Prize in Literature 2021

I have an Excel sheet with over 1000 possible Nobel contenders. Everybody is on there. I thought I was set for the next 50 years. But no Gurnah...
  3. E

Nobel Prize in Literature 2021 Speculation

The tweet means nothing. I doubt that the Nobel social media person has any insightinto the proceedings. But he will have hundreds of potential winners queued up to post as fast as possible when they announce it.
  4. E

Nobel Prize in Literature 2021 Speculation

Hello again! I was very inactive the last few months as I had a pretty stressful time and couldn't read as much as I would have wanted (so I couldn't participate in the WLF Prize in Literature). In the last few days I tried to read this thread but I couldn't keep up with the pace so I might make...
  5. E

WLF Prize in Literature 2021

Can I still take part!? I'd really like to and I think the nominating process is still going on till tomorrow!?
  6. E

Nobel Prize in Literature 2020

I could easily see Mantel or Kincaid winning in the near future and there are so many women writers they could award: Danticat, Kareva, Erdrich, Hustvedt, Tawada, Egan, Ndiaye, Erpenbeck, Zadie Smith, Zeh, Adichie, Tolstaya, Ugresic, Belli, Krog etc.(I don't like every on of the names I...
  7. E

Nobel Prize in Literature 2020

I'm disappointed that the library is so prophetic. Takes the fun out of speculating. But it seems to be the most important indicator.
  8. E

Nobel Prize in Literature 2020 Speculation

No, it wouldn't. Besides it being controversial, I think he's very hit or miss and for every Manhattan there is a Magic in the Moonlight. I can't watch another creative, neurotic older man fall in love with an at best 20-year old again. It get's old and if it wasn't before, it's definitely...
  9. E

If the library proves to be a reliable indicator again, they should change that. I think they can afford to provide enough books to the Academy so that some literature nerds in a web forum can't predict the favorites. As a literary agent for some fringe contender I would make someone check out...
  10. E

I always like his analysis, he seems to know what he's talking about and to have some sources close to the Academy. He doesn't need to be right; we certainly are more often wrong than not. One of us! I really like his last list of names from all over the world with some I never heard of...
  11. E

That's me! No reason to call me a fool, though. Just a matter of opinion. But I think I said it will take longer than 10/15 years. Although, I definitely believe a rapper will win in time. Predictions for this week: I still believe one of Condé, Can Xue and Kincaid will win as a worthy...
  12. E

I don't want to attack you in any way or form, but your posts often seem to be a big name/data drop without much behind it. I'm always interested in learning about new writers, but I can't really see the use in only posting names of some authors without any explications why they could be in the...
  13. E

International IMPAC Dublin Literary Award

It's one of my favourite prizes and the shortlist came out today: The Silence of the Girls by Pat Barker (British) Milkman by Anna Burns (Irish) Disoriental by Négar Djavadi (Iranian-French) Washington Black by Esi Edugyan (Canadian) An American Marriage by Tayari Jones (US) History of...
  14. E

I'll say it again: Nobody here is arguing for anyone to get the Nobel just for being Asian, African, a woman or anything else but only for their literary ability. If there was one writer they think ist THE ultimate, undisputable and greatest living writer, so good that it would be a travesty and...
  15. E

I'll try to check it out! Disturbing and dark is right in his wheelhouse.
  16. E

I like Sorokin. I read five of his books and he became one of my favorites. The way in which he interweaves social criticism and really weird stuff is captivating. They stayed with me for a long time. But I doubt that he is for everyone. Some might be put off by the sci-fi/fantasy elements, he's...
  17. E

As I said before, I don't think there is a suitable African black female poet at least on my radar. But I don't think that if they try to go this route and find no one that they then would go for Antije Krog. I think she would be a fine winner, but if they go for an African it won't be someone...
  18. E

Do you mean Raúl Zurita?
  19. E

No offense taken! After seeing all the replies I'm almost sorry to have brought Handke up again... Then I'm gone for the day and don't know on which comment I want to comment first! After reading through the threads for a week before I started posting I would have bet on Daniel del Real hating...
  20. E

Completely agree with you!