Search results

1. Papageno

Krasznahorkai László

Interesting news - LK's dark and delirious novel "Melancholy of Resistence" is set to become an opera, and will premier in Budapest on Dec 2! See the link here about the production - even though the article itself is poorly written, not even mentioning who it is that wrote the book!
  2. Papageno

Prix Goncourt

Good point - although I read an analysis somewhere that the number of copies sold might also have had to do with the fact that the year was 2020 (people didn't have much else to do than sit home and read). Yes, always on the same day in the same restaurant, and they make sure that they have a...
  3. Papageno

Prix Goncourt

Prix Goncourt has been awarded to Jean-Baptiste Andrea for his novel Veiller sur elle. Here is a review in Le Monde, and here is one in the Guardian. As I was reading speculations about Goncourt last week, I think that I have seen all three other candidates cited by the critics as potential...
  4. Papageno

Prix Goncourt

Le prix Goncourt for 2023 will be announced on 7 November. There are four finalists: 1. Neige Sinno - Triste Tigre Probably the favourite, the book talks about the author's severe childhood trauma when she was subject to rape by her stepfather. 2. Gaspar Koenig - Humus Koenig is a politician...
  5. Papageno

Recently finished books?

As a member of the increasingly obsolete profession of classical philologists, I have the (extremely rare, and therefore all the more delightful) pleasure of being actually useful in the matter of Petronius. Petronius is a very mysterious character. The only thing possibly known about him comes...
  6. Papageno

Annie Ernaux

Annie Ernaux was refused Algerian visa she was seeking in order to attend a literary festival there (source Le Monde). They say that it is possibly because she publicly defended an Algerian journalist harassed and detained by the Algerian government. Apparently, the Algerian ambassador in Paris...
  7. Papageno

Annie Ernaux

Bibliothèque Richelieu (BnF) in Paris exhibits the manuscripts of Les Années ! (they also have the autograph of Mozart's Don Giovanni ?)
  8. Papageno

Good Looking Writers

I just stumbled upon this picture of Mikhail Shishkin, and remembered this thread. Wowza!
  9. Papageno

WLF Prize in Literature 2024

I think I will go with (not necessarily in that order): 1. Adonis 2. Yan Lianke 3. Kadare or Al-Koni or Kang, I have not decided yet... Last year, I was so ready to vote! But, stupidly, I thought the voting was after the Nobel prize announcement (which, from this perspective, would actually...
  10. Papageno

Nobel Prize in Literature 2023

You are very right, they kept the artwork for diplomas in Chemistry, Physics and Peace, but for some reason not for Literature and Medicine. Here are some examples that I like very much. I am sure that all Nobel laureates are extremely creative people, but it would seem to me that Literature...
  11. Papageno

Yes, I agree with you and the others 100%. Just for the sake of systematization, I think we can list four distinct ways in which this phenomenon of simplification is manifesting: (1) just boring unenthusiastic journalists in the audience; why can't we go? We'd create an atmosphere; (2) Mats...
  12. Papageno

I am happy for Jon Fosse! Out of the things I read, I really liked Det er Ales. I am looking forward to reading the Septology in due course. I am also so happy that they mentioned Tarjei Vesaas in the announcement (as being a part of the tradition which includes Fosse), although it is a shame...
  13. Papageno

Nobel Prize in Literature 2023 Speculation

It seemed to me that this pre-announcer said ''laureate and his works'' ??? But maybe she is pulling our leg it is still Xue
  14. Papageno

In this late hour, I am sending positive vibes to António Lobo Antunes (come on, Nobel committee, there is still time to fix your past mistakes, award him already!) Oh, the excitement is killing me!
  15. Papageno

I have unfortunately had a hectic month and wasn't able to contribute to the Speculation forum as much as I wanted, but I followed the discussions with excitement and am planning on getting up tomorrow at dawn to follow the announcement. The biggest chances seem to me to be with Fosse, Murnane...
  16. Papageno

Name these books

That was also my line of reasoning before getting it right! I particularly like the blue one on the bottom right. Sad and frightening at the same time. I wonder what this one is? Book covers are haunting, especially the surrealist one that is second to the right in the bottom row. Reminds me of...
  17. Papageno

Shakespeare In excerpts at Florida Schools

Examples of "woke" efforts to stifle ideologically non-compliant literature are as varied as they are disturbing: removal of To Kill a Mockingbird from necessary readings (example), outraged social media enthusiasts trying to kill a writer's book before it even gets published (example)...
  18. Papageno

Shakespeare In excerpts at Florida Schools

Thank you for letting us know about this horror, @Laseratte. It seems that especially in the anglophone world writers (both contemporary and classical) are struggling to survive between the Scylla of fanatical religious puritanism and Charybis of righteous "wokisme." And irony is particularly...