Search results

1. Morbid Swither

Yōko Ogawa

Was directed to this English translation of a short story by Ogawa Yōko this evening: “The Peddler of Tears” — translated by Sam Bett. Thought I would share here for those interested.
  2. Morbid Swither

Salim Barakat

The following biographical details were written by the editors of Words Without Borders, found in their 2006 publication Literature from the "Axis of Evil." The New Press, New York & London. 2006. Salim Barakat, born in 1951 in northern Syria, is a Kurdish-Syrian novelist and poet, currently...
  3. Morbid Swither

Garielle Lutz

American author of stories (an essential, exemplary, representation of what is presently called micro fiction ("flash" fiction), a style manual, occasional poetry, essays/lectures, and articles on the evolving relationship between poetics and grammar. . Born October 26, 1955, Garielle Lutz is 66...
  4. Morbid Swither

Hebrew Writers

I thought that I would create a thread dedicated to this subject as some have already expressed at least modest interest in the subject. One of the local universities had a copy of a really nice volume. The Oxford Book of Hebrew Short Stories. Oxford University Press, 1996. Edited by Glenda...
  5. Morbid Swither

Néstor Sánchez

I have recently become aware of the the Argentine author Néstor Sánchez and initial impressions are that he is mysterious and intriguing figure in Latin American literature. I don’t think he’s been translated into English at all. For those who are familiar, what can you tell me about him or his...
  6. Morbid Swither

Literature on/of Psychology

I find it interesting that Olga Tokarczuk is a psychologist. I had been musing on this recently....It got me to thinking about Freud, and that his writings on psychology are considered a keystone in the Wester Canon (indeed, one of Bloom's "26"). To me this demonstrates how vital writings on...
  7. Morbid Swither

Alexander Kluge

German author Alexander Kluge, born in 1932, thus 89 at the time of this post, is an author that I'm increasingly interested in. I have had a painful time coming by his work, fiction or nonfiction, as he produces both, and apparently melds the genres beautifully. Additionally, he is an...
  8. Morbid Swither

E. L. Konigsburg

Children’s or juvenile literature often gets overlooked in consideration of the more accepted notion of what literature is, should be. It has been so many years since I read a work by E. L. Konigsburg, and I’m sure that there are some works from later in her career I haven’t read… But there is...
  9. Morbid Swither

bell hooks (1952-2021)

American author and theorist bell hooks died on Dec. 15th, 2021. She was 69 years old. Her work, even briefly or aphoristically quoted, is so stirringly commanding. I think her passing is horribly sad and just encourage all readers here to engage with her work—not necessarily (nor specifically)...
  10. Morbid Swither

Atiq Rahimi

With events in Afghanistan so distressing, I thought I would come to the forum to address the fact that I’ve hardly read any Afghan literature… The one exception is Atiq Rahimi (b. 1962 in Kabul). I wish to read more from this author and would love any other recommendations! I enjoyed Earth and...
  11. Morbid Swither

New Discoveries/Translations to Watch For

Pop-up question for the forum: Which author have you discovered that you really enjoy, but wish there were more translations into the language(s) in which you are fluent? For me, that would be Michal Ajvaz (Czech).
  12. Morbid Swither

Mary Gaitskill

I noticed that the UK imprint of Penguin Modern Classics recently released several titles by Mary Gaitskill. Community’s thoughts on Gaitskill as a “modern classic?” I’m not 100% in agreement, but maybe I’m like 91% in agreement… ?
  13. Morbid Swither

Juan Villoro

Formerly I have read two rather slight works by Juan Villoro. Fiction. They were very interesting, but I wouldn’t call them spectacular. Just fine average fare, impressive but again, not spectacular. But I started reading work called Horizontal Vertigo: A City Called Mexico (tr—. by Alfred...