Search results

1. TrixRabbi

Nobel Prize in Literature 2023 Speculation

Are we not getting the Alex Shephard article this year?
  2. TrixRabbi

I mean many existing laureates have written screenplays. Hell, I think the best work of Handke I've ever encountered is his script for Wings of Desire. Faulkner also wrote numerous screenplays, George Bernard Shaw won an Oscar for his script for Pygmalion in 1938.
  3. TrixRabbi

It still would be the funniest thing in the world to give it to Stephen King. Just sayin'
  4. TrixRabbi

Inherent Vice is very good and one of his more accessible (and shorter) works. If you liked Lot 49 good chance you'll enjoy it, it's another detective story.
  5. TrixRabbi

I've heard the trick with Gravity's Rainbow is to just not fight it. Don't worry about understanding every little bit, just keep moving ahead with it. I've also been felled by it before but intending to do the whole thing soon.
  6. TrixRabbi

Pynchon would be fun to see who he sends in his place to accept the award.
  7. TrixRabbi

Israel feels like a possible can of worms politically at the moment they may opt to avoid (btw, who are the frontrunners from there?) but I think Middle East could be ripe for another laureate. Also agree it's downright insane how few Latin and South American laureates there are for how rich the...
  8. TrixRabbi

Same as how there's no clockwork orange in A Clockwork Orange. Philip Roth only was never going to win in hindsight now that he's dead, so we can only say that with certainty now. I mean, you're probably correct, but who the hell knows? This whole thread is about trying to pick the needle out...
  9. TrixRabbi

Latin American Boom

Is Clarice Lispector chopped liver?
  10. TrixRabbi

He'd be the only legitimate writer to ever receive the award.
  11. TrixRabbi

Oh that reminds me I have an unread copy of that sitting around I really need to prioritize.
  12. TrixRabbi

Maybe it's a cultural difference but I'm confused, "Basement" and "Stairs" aren't synonyms?
  13. TrixRabbi

Dylan also had the luck of not just being born an American and a native English speaker, but of being born in time to rise up during the 1960s. Just like there will never be another band on the sheer level of popularity as The Beatles, the way media functions today it's impossible to imagine a...
  14. TrixRabbi

It's an interesting issue with music translation. Often times, as the author of that blog post points out, there's little effort made to capture the meaning of original lyrics when taking a song from one country to the other. In fact, there used to be an entire business model built on taking...
  15. TrixRabbi

This is correct, but I'm not really going to be apologetic about it. I like plenty of foreign language pop music but I will cop that I don't always know what the lyrics mean unless I look them up (I know just a little, very little French, enough that with a translation dictionary I can decipher...
  16. TrixRabbi

Agreed. So the main thing I'm trying to get though is -- do people solely take exception to giving the award to a songwriter, or is it that they don't think Dylan's lyrics are up to snuff, or a combo of both? I was thinking about it and, look, we can agree to disagree on the quality of Dylan's...
  17. TrixRabbi

It's a shame cause The Goalie's Anxiety at the Penalty Kick is a fantastic title. Makes you wanna pick the thing up. Almost has an existentialist giallo-like feel to it. Then the book itself is like, ah yes, I get it he's an emotionally deficient shithead. Moving on.
  18. TrixRabbi

I tried to avoid getting annoyed at Offending the Audience cause I know that was the whole point lol
  19. TrixRabbi

I think I still felt a little too much distance with Sorrow, which in general is a big problem I've had with the works of his I've read -- distant -- but it was where I saw him actually open up a bit. I liked it, though didn't love it, but glad you did! Also worth noting I read it in...