Search results

1. W

Nobel Prize in Literature 2023

Yeah, that was journalist, comedian and provocateur Gert Fylking (friend of Horace Engdahl) A nice video of the two of them going through book recommendations for christmas in Sweden
  2. W

Nobel Prize in Literature 2023 Speculation

Okay... Only 17 more minutes. This year I think Jon Fosse or Can Xue will get it but I really hope László Krasznahorkai will get it A dark horse would be Raúl Zurita, would be interesting 50 years after the coup in Chile, even if the academy shouldn't take such historical things into consideration.
  3. W

Bei Dao would be interesting. One of the misty poets, not on any betting list (as far as I know).
  4. W

Thanks, I've actually been here since 2010, but I've almost never written anything :) Yeah Arrabal has made lots of plays, but also operas, movies, novels etc.
  5. W

Long time since a playwright got one... (well sure Handke have written some plays etc.) What are your thoughts on: Tom Stoppard Caryl Churchill Alan Ayckbourn Suzan-Lori Parks Yasmina Reza Mark Ravenhill Martin Crimp Fernando Arrabal Roland Schimmelpfennig Anyone else? (any prominent...
  6. W

Nobel winners who wrote some of their best works after the award?

Here I trided to list some recent laureates major works after their nobel prize (please correct me if I've missed something) Herta Müller - Immer derselbe Schnee und immer derselbe Onkel, Vater telefoniert mit den Fliegen Mario Vargas Llosa - El héroe discreto (The Discreet Hero), Cinco...
  7. W

Liu Cixin maybe? Or maybe he's to much of hard sf?
  8. W

Thinking a bit outside the box... Do you know any fitting: Opera librettist (I know Hugo von Hofmannsthal was nominated back in the day) Screenwriter (Woody Allen? Martin McDonagh?) Comics writer (Alan Moore?) Philosopher (Nussbaum? Habermas? Chomsky?) Any other occupation? Journalists maybe?
  9. W

What about Pirandello and Maeterlinck? Not the usual "naturalistic theatre" of the times. Or maybe you meant only prose-authors?
  10. W

Oh yeah I forgot to write that it was Europeana that became a theatre play here in Sweden.
  11. W

Any speculations about Patrik OUŘEDNÍK? He got a big upswing here in Sweden since his book became a play at the most famous theatre Dramaten, and the playwright Mattias Andersson talked some about the play in swedens most famous radio show called "Sommar". Anyone read his books? They seem to be...
  12. W

Nobel Prize in Literature 2022 Speculation

It would be interesting if Dennis Cooper would win...
  13. W

Any thoughts on Alexander Kluge or Gary Snyder (except that they might be too old to get it)? I'm also thinking about screenwriters that might get it... but so far I can only think of Woody Allen. Any other good literary screenwriters?
  14. W

And today Kjell Espmark from the Swedish Academy died at 92 years of age. https://www.dn.se/kultur/svenska-akademiens-kjell-espmark-ar-dod/
  15. W

Nobel Prize in Literature 2021 Speculation

Ok... almost time... Who I think will win: Ernaux, Fosse, Couto, Thiong'o Who I want to see win: Krasznahorkai, Thiong'o, Pynchon, DeLilo Who I don’t want to see win: Knausgård, Oates Who I'd bet on for a longshot gamble: Houellebecq
  16. W

A hard one... here's 10 in no particular order: Albert Camus Jean-Paul Sartre Samuel Beckett Gabriel García Márquez Dario Fo Günter Grass Elfriede Jelinek Harold Pinter Orhan Pamuk Bob Dylan damn... forgot Tomas Tranströmer, Wole Soyinka... and many others...
  17. W

He is part of the Swedish Academy
  18. W

Friederike Mayröcker (1924-2021)

The author Friederike Mayröcker from Austria died today, 4th of June, at the age of 96. https://www.zeit.de/kultur/literatur/2021-06/friederike-mayroecker-schriftstellerin-tot-wien-oesterreich
  19. W

Nobel Prize in Literature 2020 Speculation

Final bet... as always... Thiong'o
  20. W

Nobel Prize in Literature 2020 Speculation

Ok like this... Tagore > Non-European, writes in his own language > Winner not from Europe, writes in his/her own language Hemingway > His non-fiction books Under Kilimanjaro, Green Hills of Africa > Winner from Africa, writes non-fiction Morrison > Black > Winner is black = Thiong'o...