Search results

1. errequatro

Academic jobs in the US

Dears, I have just applied for an academic job in the US. But it's not the most obvious of places: Notre Dame University, Indiana. I have no idea what to expect in terms of cost of living, salary, etc... Can anyone fill me in, even if just a little? (this is all theorectical of...
  2. errequatro

Loud vs. Quiet books (and authors)

Listening to a podcast the other day, I heard Ishiguro's book The Remains of the Day being described as a "quiet book". I thought this was an wonderfully apt description. So it got me thinking about other "quiet books"... and their contrary. It then struck me that this could potentially be...
  3. errequatro

Jerzy Pilch (1952 – 2020)

The Polish writer has died on the 29th of May from complications associated with Parkinson's disease. A prominent figure of Polish letters, he has been compared to Gombrowicz, Kundera and Hrabal. Although not a well-known name outside of Poland, he has been translated into several languages...
  4. errequatro

Eavan Boland (1944-2020)

The Irish poet has died on the 27th April 2020 at her home, in Dublin. Here is an article (obituary) about her and her work: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/28/books/eavan-boland-dead.html?auth=linked-google
  5. errequatro

Luis Sepúlveda (1949-2020)

The Chilean writer has died today, from complications related with Covid-19.
  6. errequatro

The Death of the Literary Hero

On his 2011 series of documentaries for the BBC, Sebastian Faulks pronounces the death of the literary hero. This bold statement lacks, however, substancial proof and it is my belief that the literary hero is not, and never will be, dead. I intend to open a discussion about this and to...