Birthdays & Anniversaries

Stevie B

Current Member
Today is Jorge Luis Borges's and Ali Smith's and A S Byatt's birthday.
Also mine, though I'm nobody :p

Belated happy birthday, Bartleby! That's a pretty good threesome (so to speak). I just looked online to see if I share a birthday with any famous authors. Only found one well-renowned writer, but he's one I really like - George Orwell.

Liam

Administrator
Ah, haha, I quickly searched for famous writers born on my birthday and these were MY three:

James Baldwin :)
Isabel Allende :(
Rose Tremain :)

Stevie B

Current Member
Ah, haha, I quickly searched for famous writers born on my birthday and these were MY three:

James Baldwin :)
Isabel Allende :(
Rose Tremain :)

Baldwin is a good one with whom to share a birthday. Allende not so much. By the way, Daniel, Paulo Coehlo was born on the 24th of August. Any chance you were as well? :rolleyes:

Bartleby

Baldwin is a good one with whom to share a birthday. Allende not so much. By the way, Daniel, Paulo Coehlo was born on the 24th of August. Any chance you were as well? :rolleyes:

I deliberately omitted him from my list haha btw another brazillian was born on this day: Paulo Leminski, a poet. I'm not so sure about him, he seems to be quite liked by the masses and somehow disliked by some elitists with specific views on poetry, and I haven't read him much to form an opinion...

By the way, thanks for bringing Tremain into focus, Liam. I Didn't know her and she sounds appealing to me...

Stevie B

Current Member
James Joyce's birthday is today. He was born in Dublin in 1882, met Nora Barnacle in 1904 (though didn't marry her until 1931), and spent his final 37 years in self-imposed exile, primarily in Zurich and Paris.

Last edited:

Liam

Administrator
^Not necessarily about birthdays, but I've always been struck by this uncanny coincidence about the two biggest modernists in English-language literature:

Woolf, Jan 1882 - March 1941
Joyce, Feb 1882 - Jan 1941

So, basically, she was born a month earlier, and survived him by two more months, ?
Otherwise, their lifespans coincided with each other almost seamlessly.

Stevie B

Current Member
^Not necessarily about birthdays, but I've always been struck by this uncanny coincidence about the two biggest modernists in English-language literature:

Woolf, Jan 1882 - March 1941
Joyce, Feb 1882 - Jan 1941

So, basically, she was born a month earlier, and survived him by two more months, ?
Otherwise, their lifespans coincided with each other almost seamlessly.

I never knew their lifespans so closely mirrored one another's. Given Woolf's reclusive tendencies, I'm assuming the two never met. Also, judging by her quote about Ulysses and her, at times, elitist outlook, I'm curious if Woolf would have even wanted to meet Joyce.

"An illiterate, underbred book it seems to me: the book of a self-taught working man, & we all know how distressing they are, how egotistic, insistent, raw, striking, & ultimately nauseating. When one can have cooked flesh, why have the raw?"

Liam

Administrator
To be fair, she did change her mind later on and came to see Joyce's "experiment" for what it was. I'm not sure if the two ever met.

Stevie B

Current Member
To be fair, she did change her mind later on and came to see Joyce's "experiment" for what it was. I'm not sure if the two ever met.
Did she also change her mind on the working class? ?

Last edited: