Contemporary (21st century) Russian literature

tiganeasca

I am unable to find a thread on this (general) topic, so thought I would start one. (If I am wrong, please feel free to append this to the correct thread.)

I just discovered, courtesy of my other literary-ish website (Library Thing) a fascinating list of what a group of "experts"(*) deemed the 100 best (prose) Russian books of the 21st century so far. To my semi-expert eye, one of the nice things about the list is that it seems to represent a relatively wide range of ethnicities; there are many surnames that are not ethnically Russian. In addition, despite the inevitable fact that some authors are represented by multiple volumes, there is not much of that--meaning that there are lots and lots of different names.

There is, of course, an obstacle, it's only available in Russian. My Russian is not up to the task (thank you Google Translate!), but I will share the list of their top five:

1. Maria Stepanova. Memory Memory (2017) [shortlisted for this year's Booker as In Memory of Memory]
2. Evgeny Vodolazkin. Laurel (2012)
3. Alexey Salnikov. Petrovs in and around the flu (2017)
4. Alexander Chudakov. The darkness falls on the old steps (2001)
5. Vladimir Sorokin. The Blizzard (2010)

Of these five, I'll confess that Stepanova and Sorokin (who also has books at #6 and #15) are the only names I'm familiar with. But there are some interesting appearances further down the list, such as:

11. Victor Pelevin. The Holy Book of the Werewolf (2004) (another of his is at #73);
14. Mikhail Shishkin. The Letterman (2010) (also has a book at #27);
28. Leonid Yuzefovich. Cranes and Dwarfs (2009) [Archipelago has two of his novellas--The Storm and Horsemen of the Sands--available in a single volume...a very interesting writer, in my opinion];
36. Lyudmila Ulitskaya. Daniel Stein, Translator (2006)
48. Vladimir Makanin. Asan (2008)
57. Svetlana Alexievich. Second Hand Time (2013)

There are some others worthy of note as well. The difficulty, of course, is that they're not likely available in translation yet (though I will confess to being too lazy to check them all). But at least this is a list of authors/titles to be on the lookout for. And finally, even if you can't read Russian and have no interest in the books themselves, do yourself a favor and go to the website anyway: many of the covers are absolutely stunning!

(*) At the bottom of the list is the complete identification of the experts; from my distinctly layman's viewpoint, it seems a pretty impressive list.

Last edited:

Bartleby

Thanks for this amazing list! So many interesting names :)

I should just point out that, of the ones I’m familiar with, the Stepanova was translated in English as In Memory of Memory. And the Shishkin (The Letterman) as The Light and the Dark.

Liam

Administrator
A wonderful list that, interestingly, includes (besides novels) a lot of non-fiction as well: essays, biographies, memoirs, auto-fiction, historical musings, reflections on 20th century Russian art, and even the collected articles by a well-known Russian philologist and professor of literature! I have not heard of many of these books, so thanks.

If you're curious about some of these, just give me the number that they are posted under, and I'll translate the brief description for you when I get the chance, :)

Daydreamer

Thanks!!

I have Stepanova's War of the Beasts and Animals, which is a poetry collection. I was really surprised at just how difficult I found it. I've had to read through it a few times just to begin to feel like I can access it, if that makes sense. I was left wondering whether that's because of Stepanova herself, or because of the cultural differences, or something else.

Alexeivich - I've read a few of her books (Chernobyl, Zinky Boys) and found them to be really wonderful. Thorough and thoughtful. The other names on your list are brand new to me, and I'm looking forward to learning more about them!

Abhi

Is there any way to borrow an e-text of Ulitskaya's Sonechka? The physical book will cost me a fortune and no library here has the book!

Leseratte

Is there any way to borrow an e-text of Ulitskaya's Sonechka? The physical book will cost me a fortune and no library here has the book!
I never used it, so I don´t know how it works, but you can take a look at it:

tiganeasca

I have had The New Moscow Philosophy (by Vyacheslav Pyetsukh) sitting close by for several months now. I keep starting it and not getting further in. And yet the description keeps enticing me:

"A communal apartment in late Soviet-era Moscow. An elderly tenant – the daughter of the apartment's original owner – has disappeared after seeing a ghost. Over the course of a weekend the other occupants meet in the kitchen to argue over who is more deserving of the room she has apparently vacated. If the old woman was murdered, each tenant is a suspect since each would have a motive: the "augmentation of living space." As two of the tenants engage in an extended debate over the nature of evil, they take it upon themselves to solve the mystery and nail the culprit, and it becomes clear that the entire tableau is a reprise of Dostoevsky's Crime and Punishment.

Displaying a sharp wit and a Gogolian sense of the absurd, Pyetsukh visits anew the age-old debate over the relationship between life and art, arguing that in Russia life imitating literature is as true as literature reflecting life, and the novel strikes a perfect balance between the presentation of philosophical arguments and their discussion in humorous dialogue."

Just wondering--alik vit, sibkron, and liam, I am looking at YOU--has anyone read either this book or this author? And have some encouraging words for me?

sibkron

I have had The New Moscow Philosophy (by Vyacheslav Pyetsukh) sitting close by for several months now. I keep starting it and not getting further in. And yet the description keeps enticing me:

"A communal apartment in late Soviet-era Moscow. An elderly tenant – the daughter of the apartment's original owner – has disappeared after seeing a ghost. Over the course of a weekend the other occupants meet in the kitchen to argue over who is more deserving of the room she has apparently vacated. If the old woman was murdered, each tenant is a suspect since each would have a motive: the "augmentation of living space." As two of the tenants engage in an extended debate over the nature of evil, they take it upon themselves to solve the mystery and nail the culprit, and it becomes clear that the entire tableau is a reprise of Dostoevsky's Crime and Punishment.

Displaying a sharp wit and a Gogolian sense of the absurd, Pyetsukh visits anew the age-old debate over the relationship between life and art, arguing that in Russia life imitating literature is as true as literature reflecting life, and the novel strikes a perfect balance between the presentation of philosophical arguments and their discussion in humorous dialogue."

Just wondering--alik vit, sibkron, and liam, I am looking at YOU--has anyone read either this book or this author? And have some encouraging words for me?

I heard about the author but never got around to his works:)

alik-vit

Reader

I know this name. But nor from his books. My favorite contemporary Russian poet Veronica Dolina wrote in one of her poems: Слава Пьецух редактор в "Дружбе народов", / Все сдвиги видны = Slava Pyetsukh is editor in "The Friendship of Nations", / all shifts in plain sight.