Literature Festivals, anyone?

Flower

Reader
Over here the literature festivals are usually in the summer and autumn and I try to attend if there are any interesting authors showing up.

I missed Karl Ove Knausg?rd the other week, but managed to get tickets to see Herta M?ller and A.S. Byatt this autumn. I bought some tickets for my son as well, to see Philip Pullman.

Link in English: International Authors' Stage - The Royal Library

I'm very excited about seeing Herta M?ller as I enjoyed her book SO much. I have yet to get to know A.S. Byatt but have her latest book on my shelf.

hdw

Reader
Over here the literature festivals are usually in the summer and autumn and I try to attend if there are any interesting authors showing up.

I missed Karl Ove Knausg?rd the other week, but managed to get tickets to see Herta M?ller and A.S. Byatt this autumn. I bought some tickets for my son as well, to see Philip Pullman.

Link in English: International Authors' Stage - The Royal Library

I'm very excited about seeing Herta M?ller as I enjoyed her book SO much. I have yet to get to know A.S. Byatt but have her latest book on my shelf.

Well, the Edinburgh International Book Festival is now in full swing. I posted a while ago about all the non-English Language authors who are appearing but I can't remember which thread I posted on, so here's the full programme.

http://www.edbookfest.co.uk/uploads/programme_pdfs/2010_programme.pdf

I've been once, bought a couple of non-fiction books, sat outside with a pint of Kronenbourg people-watching and spotted Janice Galloway. You mention A.S. Byatt. She is here, so is her sister Margaret Drabble, and as usual the two are carefully avoiding each other.

Harry

Daniel del Real

I love Love Literature Festivals. I think it's the only place beside music concerts where I can stand large crowds.
It's a great experience to listen to what authors have to say about their books and life in general, have the chance to meet them, talk to them, get my books signed, etc.
I think I'm like a book groupie :D

Johan

Reader
The Gothenburg Book Fair is the second largest in Europe. I can usually stand about two hours of it before I abscond. Too much noise, too many people, too warm.

hdw

Reader
The Gothenburg Book Fair is the second largest in Europe. I can usually stand about two hours of it before I abscond. Too much noise, too many people, too warm.

Yeah, the great thing about the Edinburgh one is that it's outside, in the otherwise (for the rest of the year) private gardens of one of the nicest squares in the city centre, and the book displays and talks are held in large airy tents.

Harry

Flower

Reader
Well, the Edinburgh International Book Festival is now in full swing. I posted a while ago about all the non-English Language authors who are appearing but I can't remember which thread I posted on, so here's the full programme.

http://www.edbookfest.co.uk/uploads/programme_pdfs/2010_programme.pdf

I've been once, bought a couple of non-fiction books, sat outside with a pint of Kronenbourg people-watching and spotted Janice Galloway. You mention A.S. Byatt. She is here, so is her sister Margaret Drabble, and as usual the two are carefully avoiding each other.

Harry

I see that both A.S. Byatt and Philip Pullman are attending the Edinburgh Festival, but not Herta M?ller.

Flower

Reader

I know what you mean!

We have the official book festival where there are booths from every publisher and some stages. To me that has become very commercial and not so interesting anymore.
Where Im seeing Herta M?ller and A.S. Byatt is at another place, at the Royal Library, where there only will be one stage and then served a glass of wine at the bar afterwards. So no hassle or noice for that matter. :)

hdw

Reader
I suppose book festivals are basically "a good thing", but every other small town in Britain seems to have one these days, and the smaller ones seem to be basically marketing opportunities for TV chefs and other celebrities to plug their wares.

Harry

Eric

Former Member
The problem with book festivals is that they are trying to turn what is intrinsically an armchair activity into an "event" for popular-populist consumption. Poetry can be read aloud, and, indeed, a great deal of rap and other modern genres are meant to be performance art.

But with traditional poetry, I would personally prefer to lie in bed, slouch in an armchair (legs over the armrest), or sit on a bench in the park, and read the poems silently to myself, rather than have someone else's interpretation thrust upon me. I especially hate it when poets put on funny "poetic" voices when reading to an audience.

Another act of great stupidity perpetrated by the performance-enhancers is having people read in a foyer, corridor, or in the middle of a bustling book fair. People are pushing past, trying to get to stalls, book tables, stands, the lavatory, or the eats & drinks counter. And all the while the poor poet is trying to speak engagingly and with feeling. This is a pseudo-intellectual activity, merely going through the motions of being cultured by having an outer show of such. Unless you can shout down the noise, as Ian McMillan can no doubt do, this is just an exercise in rubbing shoulders with culture.

If you go to a classical music concert you sit on your behind, shut up, and let them play Mahler or Bach; you get pissed in the interval. If you go to a folk concert, you listen, then join in the singsong; you get pissed quietly or singingly. If you go to a rock concert, you can get pissed as noisily as you like, as the music is so deafening that it doesn't matter a bugger whether you yell into the ears of your friends. Once the trendies started trying to "do poetry" in rock concert style, something was lost.

First the bards of yore, then the silent reading of poetry (something learnt over centuries starting with the late Romans, perhaps), and now the push and shove of the drink-spilling classes in the glass-walled, imitation marble-floored foyer. Something has definitely been lost: common sense and a respect for real culture.

hdw

Reader
I have an inbuilt horror of poetry-readings - the epitome of tweeness - and avoid them like the plague. It was different in the good old Dark Ages, when only priests and monks could read, so while you were getting sozzled in the ale-hall it was good fun to have the bard reciting Beowulf to you. My favourite word in the whole of Beowulf is the first one, HWAET!! - i.e. shut up and pin your ears back, I'm going to read my pome. If you don't belt up you'll get my axe in your nut. Poets were warriors in those days, not limp-wristed Andrew Motions.

On Sunday afternoon when I'm getting tea ready I usually hear at least a part of Radio Four's "Poetry Please", and it's dire when they have an ac-tor giving a heartfelt rendering in act-orish RP of somebody's innocent little verses, written in the privacy of their study and meant to be read in similar circumstances by the eventual reader, not orated in best Royal Shakespeare Company style over the airwaves.

Harry

lenz

Reader
Poets were warriors in those days, not limp-wristed Andrew Motions.

Once again - Wendy cope to the rescue!

At the moment, if you're seen reading poetry in a train, the carriage empties instantly.
Andrew Motion in a Guardian interview.

Indeed 'tis true. I travel here and there
On British Rail a lot. I've often said
That if you haven't got the first-class fare
You really need a book of verse instead.
Then should you find that all the seats are taken,
Brandish your Edward Thomas, Yeats or Pound.
Your fellow passengers, severely shaken,
Will almost all be loath to stick around.
Recent Research in railway sociology
Shows it's best to read the stuff aloud:
A few choice bits from Motion's new anthology
And you'll be lonelier than any cloud.
This strategem's a godsend to recluses
And demonstrates that poetry has its uses.

Flower

Reader
I have an inbuilt horror of poetry-readings - the epitome of tweeness - and avoid them like the plague. It was different in the good old Dark Ages, when only priests and monks could read, so while you were getting sozzled in the ale-hall it was good fun to have the bard reciting Beowulf to you. My favourite word in the whole of Beowulf is the first one, HWAET!! - i.e. shut up and pin your ears back, I'm going to read my pome. If you don't belt up you'll get my axe in your nut. Poets were warriors in those days, not limp-wristed Andrew Motions.

On Sunday afternoon when I'm getting tea ready I usually hear at least a part of Radio Four's "Poetry Please", and it's dire when they have an ac-tor giving a heartfelt rendering in act-orish RP of somebody's innocent little verses, written in the privacy of their study and meant to be read in similar circumstances by the eventual reader, not orated in best Royal Shakespeare Company style over the airwaves.

Harry

Do you know if it is possible for people to listen to the bbc radio online, outside the UK? (link please) :)

Flower

Reader

Eric

Former Member
"I don't believe in God. I believe in Wallace Stevens."
What a cringemaking sound-byatt. As if you could "believe" in an insurance executive who happened to write good, if inscrutable, poetry.

As for Harry's mention of the limp-wristed Andrew Bowell-Motion, to give him his full name, I've always regarded him as a macho smoothie who attempts to chaperone the girls on the corridors of academe to a protectively dark corner. Why does everyone make fun of the former Port Laureate?

Bjorn

Reader
And I'm going to be there from Wednesday through Sunday. My feet are already pre-emptively killing me. :( But there's some really interesting stuff going on this year... really looking forward to Ngugi wa Thiong'o's seminar on language and power, for instance.