Nobel Prize in Literature 2020

In which case the list I provided was accurate and thus likely contains next year’s winner as well since winners must be in contention for more than one year.

Was Gluck on anyone’s Nobel radar prior to the Library discovery this year? She definitely wasn’t on mine.
Was Gluck checked out last year in any volume?

Ater Lividus Ruber & V

我ヲ學ブ者ハ死ス
I like Mats Malm :p

...why?

In which case the list I provided was accurate and thus likely contains next year’s winner as well since winners must be in contention for more than one year.

Was Gluck on anyone’s Nobel radar prior to the Library discovery this year? She definitely wasn’t on mine.

Probably safe to remove Mayrocker, Simic, and Carson, as they were all most likely debated against Glück.

Simic I think can be removed as he’s a fellow American poet. The rest I wouldn’t necessarily remove. We’ve had back to back poetry winners and multiple poets per decade before.

I've heard a few mentions of classicism and myth on the twitter live feed so personally I'd be removing Carson on that basis (albeit I'm not personally familiar with Gluck's work to compare the two). She might not be from the USA but she is North American and works out of the USA.

Daniel del Real

No way. Honestly, the first time I heard her name was in this thread, and because of the Nobel Library. If not, probably we wouldn't have listed her here.

Bartleby

I’m happy and a bit disappointed... Some of the poems I read from her early career were a bit awkward, a bit too unsubtle about feminist ideas (no problem with expressing these ideas, but well) but then at some point they were really good, perhaps from The Wild Iris on, the ones from Faithful and Virtuous Night being my favourites... so I guess it’s ok to improve with time... :)

Last edited:

Marba

Reader
Reactions from the tv studio:
  • Finally a poet! Not counting Dylan in 2016 the only poet awarded in the 21st century was Tomas Tranströmer in 2011 and there have been very bad misses from the SA during these years like Inger Christensen and John Ashbery.
  • Only 1 out of 3 experts in the studio had read her. The one who mentioned her as a guess had not and based her guess on that she had read a great review of her written by one of the Nobel Committee members.

Bartleby

Nice conversation with her I watched in the middle of the year. She has such a warm and fun personality 😊