Nobel Prize in Literature 2021 Speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.

hayden

Man I can't wait to be wrong for months again!

Likewise :D

Here's my quoted post from our Nobel Library thread—

If it is down to five, I can't argue with the looks of—
Ernaux
Couto
Fosse
Can Xue
And either Carson, Knausgaard or Houellebecq (likelihood in that order)

I thought it would be Krasznahorkai's year, but I can't say it's looking promising... Thiong'o with a couple titles out is somewhat interesting though.

And I'll probably end up sticking with that.

Bartleby

If it is down to five, I can't argue with the looks of—
Ernaux
Couto
Fosse
Can Xue
And either Carson, Knausgaard or Houellebecq (likelihood in that order)
In terms of number of books checked out, I’d say Houellebecq is the fifth writer...

I was searching for the keyword “Fosse” and along with his books some volumes about his works appeared (and were checked out).

Daniel del Real

Emmanuel Carrère is a name that we should look closely. I think it's still early to award another French author after 2014 Modiano's win (not sure though, those Swedes seem to love award frenchies) but his new book Yoga has been highly acclaimed. Not sure if the English translation is already out, but it's already available in a few languages.

Ludus

Reader
Do you guys have any idea if Fernando Aramburu is in the library? To be honest, I just don't understand how to use it. But his novel "Patria" is getting lots of attention, has won multiple awards and it's also getting a series done by HBO.

Bartleby

Do you guys have any idea if Fernando Aramburu is in the library? To be honest, I just don't understand how to use it. But his novel "Patria" is getting lots of attention, has won multiple awards and it's also getting a series done by HBO.
He’s there. They’ve got five of his books, including a Swedish translation of Patria. None checked out tho.

to search a writer’s output in the library, just select “Author” below “Quick Search”, then enter the author’s last name, then press “Submit” :)

btw, can you tell me more about Patria? What is it that’s making it so successful?

Ludus

Reader
He’s there. They’ve got five of his books, including a Swedish translation of Patria. None checked out tho.

to search a writer’s output in the library, just select “Author” below “Quick Search”, then enter the author’s last name, then press “Submit” :)

btw, can you tell me more about Patria? What is it that’s making it so successful?

He is a pretty successful novelist from the basque country. Patria, his last novel, is about the conflicts with ETA, and apparently is very well written. If I remember correctly, one of our members is basque, so he could tell us more about his output.

Daniel del Real

Well, talking about Spaniards, Marías just published his new novel Tomás Nevinson a few weeks ago. It is a sort of sequel from his past novel, Berta Isla. Haven't read any reviews and being such a large book probably translations won't be ready this year, but I still think he's the strongest candidate currently writing in Spanish.

hayden

In terms of number of books checked out, I’d say Houellebecq is the fifth writer...

Fair. Reason I have Carson in front of them is due to being the odd one out with her nationality (France/Norway already further up on the board, etc... if it matters any). They had a whole bunch of her work out last year too, which I'm sure they didn't read and instantly forget. Plus, she deserves it.

Emmanuel Carrère is a name that we should look closely. I think it's still early to award another French author after 2014 Modiano's win (not sure though, those Swedes seem to love award frenchies) but his new book Yoga has been highly acclaimed. Not sure if the English translation is already out, but it's already available in a few languages.

He has been getting some riffraff recently. He's releasing another film this year too.

Will note the only work of his currently checked out of the library is Yoga.

Ludus

Reader
Well, talking about Spaniards, Marías just published his new novel Tomás Nevinson a few weeks ago. It is a sort of sequel from his past novel, Berta Isla. Haven't read any reviews and being such a large book probably translations won't be ready this year, but I still think he's the strongest candidate currently writing in Spanish.

Yeahiguess

hayden

Remember Zurita is still alive tho

I'd be very happy if Zurita managed to win, but unfortunately I don't think the SA cares/knows much about him. They only own four of his works (three under '1951-' for some reason, his '1950-' tab a co-written book), and his major works (Purgatory, INRI, ZURITA, Anteparadise) are absent. Unless his name enters their circle soon, I think he's going to be an oversight.

EDIT: Sorry, the three under '1951-' aren't even his. Just poetry compilations he has entries in. Technically, they have none of his individual complete works.

redhead

Blahblahblah
Don’t think Carson has a chance this year after Glück.

Also, this winter I read a lot of M. John Harrison’s work and he’s incredible. I don’t think I’ve seen him brought up often before but he’d be a great winner.

Ludus

Reader
I'd be very happy if Zurita managed to win, but unfortunately I don't think the SA cares/knows much about him. They only own four of his works (three under '1951-' for some reason, his '1950-' tab a co-written book), and his major works (Purgatory, INRI, ZURITA, Anteparadise) are absent. Unless his name enters their circle soon, I think he's going to be an oversight.

EDIT: Sorry, the three under '1951-' aren't even his. Just poetry compilations he has entries in. Technically, they have none of his individual complete works.

Yeah, Marías could be the best contender in Spanish, not cuz his work is my favorite but his international projection.

Bartleby

Don’t think Carson has a chance this year after Glück.

Also, this winter I read a lot of M. John Harrison’s work and he’s incredible. I don’t think I’ve seen him brought up often before but he’d be a great winner.
Oh nice! Some new (to me) sci-fi name! What would be a good entry point to his work?

Edit: oh I actually knew him! Because he won the 2020 Goldsmiths prize for The Sunken Land Begins to Rise Again! Had completely forgotten his name...

redhead

Blahblahblah
Yeah, same goes to Simic. But I'm not very hopeful about more ethnic and linguistic diversity in future laureates anymore, so if they live enough they might have it.

Yeah unfortunately I agree. (Edit: about the lack of ethnic and linguistic diversity in the future… Simic and Carson are both fine poets)

Oh nice! Some new (to me) sci-fi name! What would be a good entry point to his work?

Edit: oh I actually knew him! Because he won the 2020 Goldsmiths prize for The Sunken Land Begins to Rise Again! Had completely forgotten his name...

Light’s probably his most popular book, and I’ve heard Sunken Land is also a good entry point. Personally, I loved the Viriconium sequence and would rank the novella In Viriconium/The Floating Gods as one of my favorite books, but the earlier pieces are a bit rough and as the stories riff on each other I think you need to read them all to truly get what he’s going for.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.