WLF Prize 2021 - Can Xue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bartleby

This is a space for sharing thoughts on Can Xue’s works read for our WLF Prize in Literature project.

Firstly I’ll quote some reading suggestions/views of her books:

if I had to chose 2 representative works of each, on the basis of my purely personal opinions and what I've read (and not read) of each, I'd do something like this:
Can Xue (short/long fiction)
Vertical Motion/Dialogues in Paradise
Frontier/Five Spice Street

I think Vertical Motion (short stories) and Frontier (novel) are probably her most accessible books. The Last Lover is what made me a fan, but I think it’s a bit more complicated (on the surface at least). Despite being marketed as the main storyline, the bit about Joe and his books quickly becomes just one piece of a much larger puzzle. (Also, it won the Best Translated Book Award in 2015. Fun fact: I believe Orthofer was part of the jury that year.)

That said, you may find other books work better as starting points for you. I think a professional reviewer recommended starting with Dialogues in Paradise, as despite containing some earlier, rougher stories, it also has some of her most famous ones, as well as a short biographical piece that can help contextual some of her stories. And when she was nominated for the Neustadt Prize, Five Spice Street was chosen as her representative work, so clearly some think that’s the best starting option.

I think the most important thing with Can Xue is to go in with the right mindset. Her prose is deceptively simple, but so many events are “blink and you miss it” that you need to read slowly and carefully (at least, slowing down helped me enjoy her works a lot more). Also her surreal pieces usually don’t follow normal story patterns, and anyone expecting something like that will be sorely disappointed.

I quite like her attitude as well, mainly for the reasons you describe.

Btw, for anyone interested, here’s an interesting article on Five Spice Street:

And I like this webpage about her: http://web.mit.edu/ccw/can-xue/interpretations.shtml

It lists a lot of her translated stories/essays about her, mostly just listing the issues they appeared in, but there are some links with free to read pieces.

As for Can Xue, I've read 'Five Spice Street' and 'The Last Lover' and a handful of her shorter stories, and while I've not exactly "fell in love" with her art, I couldn't fail to appreciate her brilliance.

The following is (as I see it) quite an essential interview with Can Xue, for it lays out her aesthetics and beliefs regarding art and its creation (among many other things she touches on):

I’m currently reading the stories from The Embroidered Shoes. I’m loving them, tho they seem to come from an early period of her writing so they can be a bit rough around the edges...

but they’re really incredible in how emotionally resonant they are, in diffuse ways tho, like seeing an impressionistic painting. There’s a meaning there, a clear one, even if you can’t quite pinpoint it, and I reckon each reader will come out with a different feeling in mind.

Now as for current reviews:

I finished Can Xue’s Five Spice Street today. While I did admire its themes of identity, shifting perceptions, and the power of gossip as well as how the narration from the characters swirled around the mysterious Madame X, ultimately I didn’t love this book. Its style was more of a chore than a pleasure and I’m not really sure where Can was trying to take her themes. Maybe I just got lost in the narration, but to me it kind of circled around some interesting themes without really setting up a point. Maybe that was the point and I don’t get it. I’ll definitely pick up something else by her, but as it currently stands she might just not be for me.

In reply to the above:

When I first read Five Spice Street, my first Can Xue book, I had a similar reaction. A lot of interesting themes, but they just seemed to go nowhere. Ditto for the story. The reason I think I found some of her other novels to be better starting points is that they're more upfront about their weirdness. You know within a few pages of The Last Lover or Frontier the kind of odd and dense thematic jungle you're about to step into, the kind of bizarre narrative you're about to find, whereas I think its a bit different with Five Spice Street. It has its quirks, but by Can Xue standards the story structure is more "normal." And I think knowing what you're getting into can help new readers, letting them know what expectations to leave behind, as it's one thing to read about Can Xue and quite another to actually read her.

At least, that's what I thought a few years ago when I read it. She can be a divisive writer, though, so don't feel like you necessarily missed something; you might have gotten exactly what she was going for and her work just isn't up your alley.

I believe I could cover everything everyone has said, I’m sorry if I missed someone’s post. You can continue sharing your opinions about the author in question here, and more broadly about the prize in its main thread. Happy readings :)

I just started reading Frontier and have finished the first chapter so far.

My first impression is that it somewhat holds the middle between a fable and a novel. The main character till this point is a young woman Luijin. Her thoughts often strike like those of a child, but then suddenly, as if out of the blue, adult reflections mix in.

The storyline also seems to jump from one thing to another, a bit like Luijin's thoughts. But that actually makes me focus on the writing and makes it engaging.

Will post more as I continue in the novel.

Francis

Bartleby

A forward by Scholastique Mukasonga to Can Xue's Purple Perilla:

yeah I saw this earlier. I couldn't quite get it tho, I mean, what is this book - a collection of short stories? a novel? It seems to be published by a kind of book club of sorts; will it be available by any other publisher?

yeah I saw this earlier. I couldn't quite get it tho, I mean, what is this book - a collection of short stories? a novel? It seems to be published by a kind of book club of sorts; will it be available by any other publisher?
Must admit, I have absolutely no idea... from casting an eye over their website & Instagram it looks like a very new operation. Unusual for it to have caught the eye of The Paris Review without something behind it, I would assume...

hayden

I mean, what is this book - a collection of short stories? a novel? It seems to be published by a kind of book club of sorts; will it be available by any other publisher?

Unclassifiable reading material. Very Can Xue.

peter_d

Reader
I started readingThe Embroidered Shoes in the English translation by Ronald Janssen. I saw that most of her other books have been translated by others, so I don't know how representative this story collection is for the rest of her work. So far I find the English somewhat unnatural, or it may be old fashioned, I don't know. Would that be because it reflects the original text or is more the translator's style.
The disadvantage of not being able to read books in their original language....

Bartleby

I started readingThe Embroidered Shoes in the English translation by Ronald Janssen. I saw that most of her other books have been translated by others, so I don't know how representative this story collection is for the rest of her work. So far I find the English somewhat unnatural, or it may be old fashioned, I don't know. Would that be because it reflects the original text or is more the translator's style.
How far are you into it? I’m a couple of stories short from finishing it and I can say the style seems to change a bit as the stories follow... it seems like (but I’d have no evidence to back this up) the earlier ones were from an earlier period of her career, more rough around the edges and somewhat dense and slow moving; while the later ones read to me more honed, kind of pristine, precise. They’re no less weird, content-wise, but they read more smoothly...

peter_d

Reader
How far are you into it? I’m a couple of stories short from finishing it and I can say the style seems to change a bit as the stories follow... it seems like (but I’d have no evidence to back this up) the earlier ones were from an earlier period of her career, more rough around the edges and somewhat dense and slow moving; while the later ones read to me more honed, kind of pristine, precise. They’re no less weird, content-wise, but they read more smoothly...

In fact, I only read the first two stories. Good to know that it is going change. Not that what I've read was bad, but I think you worded it well by saying 'rough around the edges'. I liked the very first sentence of the first story. My neighbour, old lady Yuan Si, is a garbage collector. That's a great sentence to start a story with. Aren't we all garbage collectors in a way? :)

Hi all,

back after a rather long break.

I did however not abandon on the WLF-prize project during that break and continued reading Frontier by Can Xue in an English translation by Karen Gernant & Chen Zeping. Finished it yesterday evening actually, so it took me the best part of 2 and half months to finish it.

If I would be asked to describe Frontier in one word, I would probably choose the word "confusing". Should I be asked to describe it with a short sentence, I would probably come up with something along the lines of: "struggling with confusion till the end."

Still, if the above description seems to suggest that I did not like the book, I would say that "not liking" does not entirely cover how I feel about it. I would rather say that it was not my cup of tea. While reading it, I often felt like a kid that is forced to finish a plate of witloof he does not like.

The novel follows a set of characters who all live, or spent an amount of time, in Pebble Town, a town which I understand to be to the north of China, close to the border with, I presume, Russia.

As a yardstick, you can assume that each chapter is written from the point of view from one of those characters, where each character returns as the focal point in several chapters. Each of these characters interacts with the other characters. They live in the same town. They visit each other, they talk and exchange thoughts with each other, etc.

As the novel depicts the experiences and occurrences of these characters, it seems to constantly swerve from one aspect to another and skip from one occurrence to another. This without any apparent logic. The novel, at times, also uses a lot of details that often seem irrelevant. Those details and the fact of swerving between events, had quiet a confusing effect on me as reader.

To add to that, the novel also often uses flash-backs. It does that in the same apparently chaotic way, skipping from one point on a time-line to another without it being very clear where one viewpoint in time stops and another begins. That adds to the confusion.

And to make it even more confusing, at different points, elements that seem like magical or supernatural are blended into the mix. This can e.g. be animals that appear at times or places you would not expect them or material things that behave in an almost magical way, e.g. walls that bend or roofs that open.

All the above confused me to a point, that I often reread parts in the book just to gain a feeble impression of not entirely having lost track of the novel.

All that confusion is a such not a problem. With many novels I, at least a certain stages, wonder what the writer is on about and seem lost in the book. In Abercrombie's First Law-books e.g., the battle scenes can be so detailed and extended that I kind of loose track. But then there is a general overruling story-line of the novel that catches the reader and offers him a helicopter perspective as to where he is in the story. I guess that is what is generally referred to as a plot.

And that brings me to the impression of Frontier that puzzled me the most: this novel does not seem to have a plot. Even after I turned the last page, I'm not sure what the novel is about. It just seems to be a loose recount of the daily lives of Luijun, of Qiming, of Sherman and of the other characters. But there does not seem to be an underlying general story-line. And the magical and supernatural elements mixing in, do nothing to offer a clue.

At times, I thought Pebble Town was a metaphor for a de-intoxication facility and that each of the characters had been sent there to cure a habit of using. Then I thought Liujun, who seems to be the main character, was actually lying on her dead-bed during the entire novel and her life was recalled through her feverish dying dreams. But I never was quiet sure.

So after having finished the novel, I read the stub about the novel on Wikipedia. And got the impression that other readers were just as confused as I was or, as it is put in the linked Wikipedia-stub, estranged. And that that feeling of confusion and estrangement is actually the main theme/objective of the novel. And that was not really my cup of tea.

So far I find the English somewhat unnatural, or it may be old fashioned, I don't know. Would that be because it reflects the original text or is more the translator's style.

I kind of second the above quote from Peter D. The translation felt rather construed and unnatural at times. Then, I guess that Chinese and English are so fundamentally different, that that is probably unavoidable to a certain extent. Just as an illustration, when I'm taking away an order at our local Chinese restaurant, the Chinese the staff there speak sounds like a succession of short rapid dynamic sounds, with a very pronounced determination and aim always oozing from it. That impression fits right in with the (presumed) mercantile nature of Asia. Yet, in the English translation, I found nothing of the dynamic nature of the spoken Chinese referred to above.

So, in a nutshell, this was not my cup of tea. I actually had to force myself to finish the novel. That being said, I learned to like witloof in the end.

I think next up will be Laszlo Krasznahorkai. But I will not hide that I plan on reading an English written novel first. Just to get some bearings back.

Cheers,

Francis

I've now finished The Last Lover by Can Xue - my second of her novels (the other being Five Spice Street).

It isn't easy to describe her work, but something about them contains the extremely fantastical sort of thing that I've never encountered in a novel before; I recognize a vision of elusive and incomprehensible world building that is similar to what is sometimes seen in Hayao Miyazaki's films, but here is it turned up from a mere 10/10 to a 13/10. Can Xue is breaking the scale and creating entirely new ideas for how to explore ideas or tell stories.

The big question though, is "does it work?"

My feeling is that it absolutely does, but I accept that it is not a universally held belief. She is unique, but not just for the sake of being unique. There are tangible ideas and themes here, but, just like the world and characters that she writes, they are somewhat elusive - so what we are witnessing is a near-complete denial of realism as the literary ideal. And I enjoy it.

The Last Love is all about trying to understand the relationships we build with our most intimate of partners (or the partners we wish we could have). It takes eight (I think) characters and puts them all on grand adventures to try and figure out how to connect or escape with somebody they are attracted to - or in love with. And the adventures are unique. Some are horrific, and others are purely unusual, some are fantastical; throughout there is a specter of uncertaintly mixed with each character's willingness to simply accept what comes there way. Whatever it might be.

And this mixes in with what I can only possibly describe as an effort to write in dreamscapes. At times sleep is called upon as a narrative element, but more often than not the adventure seems to move from the merely surreal to the very nearly inexplicable with a sudden sound-induced trance. If not for the wush wush italics, though, you might not see the landmark of what has happened; but you can feel it in its way. Each chapter/adventure starts out kind of feeling real, and then something twists and turns and the full power of Can Xue's imagination really takes over. I've not had to imagine so breathlessly since reading Mulata by Miguel Angel Asturias, and for it to work I needed to just step into the writing and reading almost as though I was also falling into a dream.

There are moments where the writing is beautiful and lyrical, but it is never sentimental in any manner - shocking, when you think of the title or what I believe to be the core theme, and given the particular role that dreams play in the delivery. But it works well, both for falling into the text and rolling with whatever is thrown our way as readers, and for pushing the energy forward.

Here's a scene that I think captures some of the unique writing. It's from a scene about 50% of the way through the book:

The bar was in an out-of-the-way spot. A green neon light, which flickered like ghostly eyes, was set on a grapevine trellis out in front of the restaurant. It was by chance that Ida had come here. Once she arrived she fell in love with the plan, then, unexpectedly, disocvered that the owner was from her hometown and the bar's customers were all to her liking. For the most part, customers arrived one after another around midnight. Almost everyone walked, very few of them drove. Without anyone realizing it, the seats at the counter and in the large dining room filled. People kept straight faces, spoke in lowered voices, and discussed serious issues in groups of two and three. The owner, Alvin, told Ida that the tone of the bar came about naturally, and only people who spent all day in illusions liked to come here. When they arrived, they poured out to each other the nightmares pent up in their hearts. Alvin called this "woe telling."

The paragraph continues from then on... but I think you can see here some of the things that I enjoy about Can Xue's writing. It is direct and descriptive but it misses plenty enough details that the world you are trying to make sense of never really takes shape. It has an uncertainty of motive as well; what is woe telling? Where do these people come from? Why is it so hard to recognize when they arrive, and what does it mean to spend all day in illusions? Very few of these questions get answered before they are completed crowded out by new ones. Kudos to Annelise Finegan Wasmoen for being brave enough to translate this.

There is definitely a political story here too. It is often opaque and is never the central theme, but there are moments where you can see a critical political awareness of history and power. I was surprised to see it resurface again in the final paragraph.

Last but not least - a quick comment on Five Spice Street. Five Spice Street is a comedy, through and through. It has hilarious characters, hilarious events, hilarious reactions, and it deals with serious ideas and thoughts about living in a community and not really knowing your people. The tone for The Last Lover is remarkably different. If it weren't for the imagination and the particular writing rhythm, I would suspect that it is hard to see how the two could come from the same writer. But they did, and they both made me wonder at the frontiers of literature in a way that doesn't happen often enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.