Favorite Films

lenz

Reader
No, I haven't seen it. One and a half Truffaut to date.

Let me try translating the name: The English God and the Continent?

How about: Two Englishwomen and (or on) the Continent (meaning Europe, presumably). I've never heard of it either.

But, let's look it up!

titania7

Reader
And what about Fahrenheit 451 with Julie Christie?

Fahrenheit 451 (1966 film) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

He made many more successful films:

Fran?ois Truffaut - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I very much like Fahrenheit 451. The film is enhanced immensely by the Bernard Herrmann soundtrack, also.

Truffaut has been my favorite film director for most of my life. My favorite of all his films is "The Bride Wore Black."

~Alexis

"I prefer the reflection of the life to life itself." ~Francois Truffaut~

Daniel del Real

Anyone have seen The Box with Cameron D?az? It is based in a short story by Richard Matheson named Button, Button. Not the greatest movie, but I liked it.

Manuel76

Reader
How about: Two Englishwomen and (or on) the Continent (meaning Europe, presumably). I've never heard of it either.

But, let's look it up!

That's right, but I think it's found in US simply as Two english girls. The continent refers to french Jean- Pierre Leaud.

I liked The Bride wore black too, Jeanne Moreau is always incomparable! But for me her bestrole was Catherine in Jules et Jim, she was beautiful. Impossible not to fall in love with her.

But my other very favorite Truffaut films are Baisers vol?s (Stolen kisses) which stars again Leaud as Doinel, the boy from 400 coups a little older (it's the third part) and L'Histoire d'Adele H, with a really wonderful and very young Isabele Adjani. The last one is again a very passionate and desperate love story based on the diaries from the daughter of Victor Hugo.

lenz

Reader
Watched Lost in Translation. Very well-made but I'm completely baffled as to how much I like it.

I'm not baffled. I liked it a lot. Bill Murray is perfect and the whole film has a wonderful mixture of silly lightness with the homesick blues.

I think what makes it such a likable film is that at moments it reach the depths of alienation in Eliot's poem abut then brings us back to the comic absurdity of life as it is and isn't.

Last edited:
One of my favorite films is ?Tampopo? by Juzo Itami (a fascinating director). The movie is hilarious, funky, and totally unique. I?ve never seen anything quite like it. It's difficult to find, but worth searching for.

Currently, I?m reading The Silent Cry (a wonderful novel) by Kenzaburō Ōe, winner of the 1994 Nobel Prize in Literature. I was surprised to discover that his wife was the sister of Juzo Itami.

miercuri

Reader
A few days ago I watched David Cronenberg's Eastern Promises and it blew my mind. It is a complex study of the Russian mob in London. It might as well become my favourite thriller. I ended up watching a documentary on Russian prison tattoos, The Mark of Cain, which Cronenberg cited as a source of inspiration. Once again, very impressive.

David Cronenberg an History of violence is very good too.
He is making excellent movies, more classic, one of the best with the Cohen Brothers.

miercuri

Reader
Yes, I intend to check out more of his film. I liked Eastern Promises better than A History of Violence but Viggo Mortensen is excellent in both!

Igu Soni

Reader
I think what makes it such a likable film is that at moments it reach the depths of alienation in Eliot's poem abut then brings us back to the comic absurdity of life as it is and isn't.
At least now I know that someone followed that link. Thanks.

Igu Soni

Reader
I just watched the Toy Stories (or the Toy Storys). Someone's gotta be kidding. Seriously. I don't see what's so brilliant about taking every hollywood cliche and putting it into digital animation form (even if it's well-made). It doesn't even have the gentle spoof tone adapted by the later Pixar. To me, it's depressing, because these movies are basically showing American kids what they are probably going to be watching the rest of their lives. Go watch Inu Yasha instead. Or Miyazaki. Almost any manga. DragonBallZ! Don't tell me that this is one of the greatest movie series ever made.

Liam

Administrator
Terrence Malick's The Thin Red Line gets a Criterion treatment:

536_box_348x490.jpg

Beautiful, as always. *****+

L.

Liam

Administrator
Haven't actually seen these two yet, but heads up for the rest of Ozu lovers here:

Two early films are being released on DVD this week: The Only Son (1936) and There Was a Father (1942).

spotlight_464_There_Was.jpg

FatherSon_box_348x490.jpg

Will add more after watching--

L.

Manuel76

Reader
Haven't actually seen these two yet, but heads up for the rest of Ozu lovers here:

Two early films are being released on DVD this week: The Only Son (1936) and There Was a Father (1942).

L.

I don't think I saw those two, but there's one silent movie from Ozu which for me stands out and is truly unforgettable: "I was born, but...". I eal masterpiece.

Liam if you are seeing more silent Ozu films try this one. Ozu's last films (from the 50's) are great and very famous, but it's a pity this earlier movies are not so well known, because some of them really deserve it.