Recent content by Ленин

1. Л

Recently finished books?

Anne Carson - Eros the Bittersweet, an essay. - This is my favorite work by Anne Carson so far. Well researched, extremely well written (she doesn't complicate things and expresses ideas clearly, a delight to read!) and very passionate (as usual in her works). This book is a voyage through our...
  2. Л

Read my story

Hello my friends! So lately I've been writing some stuff and taking it very seriously. I wrote a short story that I intend to publish somewhere eventualy (or delete I don't know yet) and I'm looking for people who would be interested in reading it first hand and giving me some tips, advices...
  3. Л

Recently finished books?

That's amazing!! I'll for sure read this book very soon
  4. Л

Recently finished books?

Interesting! Thanks for the info!!!
  5. Л

Recently finished books?

Nikolai Gogol - Viy "But she rode on me, on me myself! By God, she did!" - So, I stumbled upon the image below whilst searching for spooky stuff and it led me to this novella based on this creature of folk imagination coined by the people of Little Russia (Ukraine) Viy, the chief of the gnomes...
  6. Л

Recently finished books?

I love it, though I think its inferior to "Autobiography of Red" (which is my only reference of her so far). I like the way she writes, it gives me as a reader a certain feeling of freedom. I read her sentences almost as if I was a lightning bolt but even so they linger on me for hours. The...
  7. Л

Recently finished books?

Anne Carson - Norma Jeane Baker of Troy - The Trojan war as a Hollywood farce, hoax, hoax, hoax. Norma Jeane Baker the harlot of Troy, "that WMD in the forked form of woman". The dreamy brunette watches the hoax, the hoax... she lies, she's not real, she's but a cloud but they cannot spot the...
  8. Л

Recently Begun Books

I'm curious to read your thoughts on this one.
  9. Л

Recently finished books?

Geoge R. R. Martin - A Storm of Swords (minor spoilers) Third installment of "A song of ice and fire" series. I'm really enjoying the ride. The books are thick but George's writting flows smoothly. His world building is extremely creative and rich, his characters are complex and cunning, with...
  10. Л

International Booker Prize

My friend that's exactly my case with this book. A friend of mine read it and absolutely hated it. This friend and I have both different tastes but she has a lot more knowledge of brazilian literature than I, so I am skeptical. I saw it a few days ago in a very privileged/visible part of a...
  11. Л

Samuel Beckett

Biopic of Beckett (apparently it was released in the UK and Ireland last year and will be released in the US (and worldwide I presume) this year). From the trailer, the film looks a bit dull, overdramatic (I heard that violin in so many trailers... and it's the director of theory of everythig so...
  12. Л

Gabriel García Márquez

On BBC Gozalo said: "We did think about it for about three seconds - was it a betrayal to my parents, to my father's [wishes]? "And we decided, yes, it was a betrayal. But that's what children are for."
  13. Л

The 'Recently Watched Films' Thread

I'd suggest "The boy and the Heron" (O menino e a garça por aqui) because it's a delight to watch it in a cinema, and apparently it will be a long time before its digital or dvd/bluray release whilst "Poor Things" is already available in digitally.
  14. Л

君たちはどう生きるか (How do you live?) aka "The Boy and the Heron" (2023) {minor spoilers} - First I'd like to say that I vehemently dislike the western choice of title (in Korea, for instance, is How do you live? too) BUT I undestand why Ghibli approved such a title. Not only because it appeals more to...
  15. Л

Poor Things (2023) - A film that presents us with several ideas but barely scratches the surface of them. The visual is nice, the way the world is shown to us as if we were inside Bella's head is nice, but that's it. It's just nice. I feel like I was suppose to be swimming in an ocean but I was...