Recent content by ArcipresteXII

1. A

Recently Begun Books

Igualmente Daniel del Real. Yo también vivo el mismo sentimiento cuando encuentro a un compatriota. No es nada fácil encontrarse españoles -o ciudadanos de habla hispana en general- en foros relacionados con filosofía y letras.
  2. A

Recently Begun Books

?? Julio Caro Baroja, temas castizos. Interesting book about customs and language on specific territories of Spain. I guess more than a book it is a very good historical essay of social culture between XVIII and XIX centuries. ?? José Echegaray, el gran Galeoto. Echegaray was a nobel price...
  3. A

Introduce yourself

I fully recommend to you Spanish writers, I guess you would like the literature of my country.
  4. A

Introduce yourself

If you are interested about Mediterranean intellectuals, which are your thoughts about Ortega y Gasset, Baroja, Cela, Cánovas del Castillo and Galdós?
  5. A

Recently Begun Books

Thank you for your reply. You clarified me a lot of doubts and now I will keep in mind Beckett's works in another perspective.
  6. A

Recently Begun Books

It is time to read the Irish masters. ?? Bernard Shaw, plays pleasant. To be honest, it is my first time reading irish theatre, but I am exited because I recently read a lot of reviews of this author and looks like a good book to start with. He was a Nobel prize winner back in 1922. Let's see...
  7. A

WARNING--it's another "100 best" list! (from Folha de São Paulo)

Thank you for sharing this list from Folha de Saõ Paulo. We already know these lists can make a lot of contradictories but I am so happy to see Ulysses by James Joyce in the first place. To be honest, he completely deserves it. But the list is full of very good authors and novels (Samuel...
  8. A

Spanish Literature

I would recommend to you a very important book from the Spanish literature. It is called Juan de Mairena, by Antonio Machado. It is all about dialogues between a teacher and his students. You will find out since philosophy debates to heartbreaking questions about why Spain is a divided country...
  9. A

Ahmadou Kourouma: Allah Is Not Obliged

I am ready to read in the following days Les Soleils des indépendances. I am exited because after checking some of Kourouma's life, this books looks so interesting. Let’s see what in the future and this story hold. Sadly, Kourouma only wrote three novels in his life. Nevertheless, sometimes is...
  10. A

Pío Baroja y Nessi.

I have checked that this forum never talked specifically about Pío before so I going to make a reference. Pío Baroja is probably one of the most important writers of Spanish literature. We can categorise him inside the generación del 98. just to understand him better I point out two different...
  11. A

Introduce yourself

Interesting. If you like Basque Country writers I would recommend to you Fernando Aramburu and his book Patria. It is so emotional because it is about the polarity about politics inside regions in Spain.
  12. A

Introduce yourself

I would say Francisco de Quevedo and Miguel de Cervantes. Also, lazarillo de tormes is a good novel but is anonymou. I wish one day we can figure out who wrote this Spanish masterpiece
  13. A

Recently finished books?

?? Søne Kierkegaard - the concept of anxiety. This is one of the books which I was looking for long ago. I like how Kierkegaard decides to change the concept we usually have of anxiety. Sometimes, in our lives, we walk through paths that could be difficult so it leads us into the limb or...
  14. A

Murakami Haruki

Murakami has a lot of original imagination. When I read 1Q84 and Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World I thought: “wow this writer is so unique in terms of developing characters and scenarios”. But sometimes, Haruki makes a mistake (just my opinion) for being so ambiguous. Even in 1Q84...
  15. A

Introduce yourself

Hello there, mi name is Javi. I am from Madrid, Spain. Nice to meet you all. I have joined this forum because I see so interesting the thread about Nobel prizes and the debate of their works. Also, the rest of the rest of the threads talking and debating about literature. Just to introduce a...