Recent content by Bartleby

1. Bartleby

César Aira

https://www.theguardian.com/news/article/2024/may/07/cesar-airas-unreal-magic-how-the-eccentric-author-took-over-latin-american-literature
  2. Bartleby

New & Notable

I was listening to this podcast yesterday about the Brooklyn sequel, and there Toibin mentioned not particularly liking sequels but in this case he kept seeing images from the new book's opening scene, and he knew it involved Eilis and the people around her, and gradually a story formed in his...
  3. Bartleby

Paul Auster (1947-2024)

I just saw a post recommendation on my phone's browser, nothing related to his death (only the heading was visible), but I was suspicious of it, and was sad (and shocked) to discover the news when I googled his name. Here's the article I initially came across...
  4. Bartleby

Yan Lianke

An interesting text written by the author, and adapted from an upcoming book of essays, dealing with the issue of writing in (and about) China today. https://www.theparisreview.org/blog/2024/04/19/on-the-distinctiveness-of-writing-in-china/
  5. Bartleby

Anne Carson

New interview with Anne Carson: https://www.theparisreview.org/blog/2024/04/17/throwing-yourself-into-the-dark-a-conversation-with-anne-carson/
  6. Bartleby

Gabriel García Márquez: One Hundred Years Of Solitude

The teaser for the Netflix adaptation of the beloved García Márquez novel has been released. I was worried they were going to mess the source material up really badly, but now I'm more hopeful about it. I particularly liked the different actors looking so much alike across the ages...
  7. Bartleby

The Book Recommendations Thread

I've now realised the synopses I've found don't necessarily cover the main topics of the books. In The Argonauts, for instance, Harry Dodge is a trans person; In In the Dream House the said, toxic, relationship is a lesbian one.
  8. Bartleby

The Book Recommendations Thread

Some possible choices that could suit your request; they are all critically acclaimed contemporary books that should also be intriguing and easy to read: Zadie Smith's Intimations. The Argonauts by Maggie Nelson. In the Dream House by Carmen Maria Machado. Constructing a Nervous System by...
  9. Bartleby

Elfriede Jelinek

thanks for the review! I finally got my hands on this book, on my kindle. Not sure if I'm gonna read it soon, tho, it seems too dauting an affair. But the last paragraph (especially the highlighted part) reassured me that when I do read it it's gonna be something to my liking:
  10. Bartleby

International Booker Prize

I'm hoping now the Hwang book takes the prize. It would be an incentive for me to finally pick one of his books up. Plus the synopsis caught my attention. Also this: I feel for the guy.
  11. Bartleby

it would certainly cause a stir were his book to win! From this shortlist, I'm sad that two books I was most eager to read were left out: Via Gemito, and White Nights.
  12. Bartleby

Now, the 2024 shortlist: Not a River by Selva Almada, translated by Annie McDermott Kairos by Jenny Erpenbeck, translated by Michael Hofmann The Details by Ia Genberg, translated by Kira Josefsson Mater 2-10 by Hwang Sok-yong, translated by Sora Kim-Russell and Youngjae Josephine Bae What I’d...
  13. Bartleby

Recently finished books?

Heaven - Mieko Kawakami - 3+ A Pale View of Hills - Kazuo Ishiguro - 3++
  14. Bartleby

The 'Recently Watched Films' Thread

Hey, guys! So, I'm starting a blog on Medium, and I've written a little about The Zone of Interest. Nothing fancy. But if you guys could at least just click on the post and keep it open for at least 30 seconds (so it counts as read), I'd very much appreciate it! No pressure, tho ? Also if...
  15. Bartleby

International IMPAC Dublin Literary Award

The 2024 shortlist has been revealed: Old God’s Time by Sebastian Barry. Solenoid by Mircea Cărtărescu, translated from Romanian by Sean Cotter. Haven by Emma Donoghue. If I Survive You by Jonathan Escoffery. The Sleeping Car Porter by Suzette Mayr. Praiseworthy by Alexis Wright. The...