Recent content by Chandos MD

1. Chandos MD

Recently Begun Books

I’m gonna be staying in Texas for the next level of education/training after medical school so I’m working through some Texas classics, most recently Larry McMurtry - In a Narrow Grave Jim Shutze - The Accommodation Billy Lee Brammer - The Gay Place John Graves - Goodbye to a River
  2. Chandos MD

Recently Begun Books

I recently started the new English translation of Jelinek’s The Children of the Dead. I realized I’d lost the plot entirely about 100 pages in, but I didn’t have it in me to go backwards and reread, so I’m putting it down for another day Yesterday I started Voss and it took me in immediately...
  3. Chandos MD

WLF Reading List 2024

January ?? Joaquim Maria Machado de Assis - Dom Casmurro ??/?? Gershom Scholem - Major Trends in Jewish Mysticism ?? Émile Zola - Germinal ??Anton Chekhov - Selected Plays [Ivanov, The Seagull, Uncle Vanya, Three Sisters, The Cherry Orchard] ??Natsume Sōseki - Botchan ?? Rabindranath Tagore -...
  4. Chandos MD

Most Disappointing Reads of 2023

Yeah the absence of a unified narrative to drive the novels forward is for sure the difference, but I don’t always lose steam reading plotless fiction like I do with Sebald so there must be something particular to him that I can’t see. I will try him again because of how much my friends love him...
  5. Chandos MD

Best reads of 2023

Leo Tolstoy - The Death of Ivan Ilyich Mário de Andrade - Macunaíma (a new English translation published this year) Mathais Énard - Compass Thomas Bernhard - Correction (my favorite of his, but this year I also read Frost, Gargoyles, The Loser, Concrete, Wittgenstein’s Nephew, and Extinction)...
  6. Chandos MD

Most Disappointing Reads of 2023

I finished the major Sebald novels this year, I liked Austerlitz but failed Vertigo and The Rings of Saturn. Halfway through both of them I started skimming out of boredom, then gave up once I noticed what I was doing. I’m not sure what I missed but I’m not interested in trying again. I had a...
  7. Chandos MD

Recently finished books?

?? Correction by Thomas Bernhard I’ve been reading a lot from him recently—in total, I’ve read Frost, The Loser, Correction, Woodcutters, Wittgenstein’s Nephew, and Extinction. I’m starting Gargoyles today. One theme shared by most of the novels I’ve read is schooling’s contribution to...
  8. Chandos MD

Our Personal Libraries

Not sure yet—I’m graduating from med school next Spring, I’m definitely leaving San Antonio and probably also Texas (there’s only one program I like enough to keep me here). I find out where in March What happened to them?
  9. Chandos MD

Our Personal Libraries

I found the set used + 50% off I couldn’t refuse
  10. Chandos MD

Our Personal Libraries

Not going to be fun to move cities next year with all of this in tow but I've already gotten rid of all the books I could stand getting rid of
  11. Chandos MD

What author have you read the most books of?

For most of my reading life I’ve had a habit of only reading one or two books from a given author before moving on in the name of diversity, I’ve only recently started reading deeper. If you only count novels I have Faulkner and Bernhard tied at 5—if I included plays it would be Shakespeare and...
  12. Chandos MD

WLF Prize 2024 - Lyudmila Ulitskaya

My experience was similar to Hayden's, I was very underwhelmed by The Funeral Party when I read it a few years ago, I imagined there must be something to her other novels for her to have acquired her reputation but haven't been motivated to try again since. My library has Big Green Tent and...