dc007777's latest activity

• D
    dc007777 reacted to Scott89119's post in the thread Alice Munro (1931-2024) with Like Like.
    Boy does this make my heart heavy. She was a profound, seminal talent. This snippet from "Amundsen" will always be one of the most...
  • D
    dc007777 reacted to Stevie B's post in the thread Alice Munro (1931-2024) with Like Like.
    Such sad news, but not surprising since there had been reports years ago of a dementia diagnosis. Alice Munro is someone I corresponded...
  • D
    dc007777 replied to the thread Pulitzer Prizes.
    It sounds like she created a creative writing department within the Spanish department, which is awesome.
  • D
    dc007777 reacted to The Common Reader's post in the thread Pulitzer Prizes with Like Like.
    The article here indicates that "she emigrated to the United States in 1989." But her Wikipedia biography lists her nationality as...
  • D
    dc007777 replied to the thread Recently finished books?.
    It is the first book I've read by him. The other two I bought were The Lost Steps and Explosions in a Cathedral. Haven't read them yet.
  • D
    dc007777 reacted to Stevie B's post in the thread Recently finished books? with Like Like.
    Are you suggesting that George Bush didn't create a utopia when he sent U.S. armed forces to liberate Iraq? :p By the way, The Kingdom...
  • D
    The Kingdom of this World- Alejo Carpentier Marvelous. I bought this and two other newly translated Carpentier novels a few weeks ago...
  • D
    dc007777 reacted to Bartleby's post in the thread Pulitzer Prizes with Like Like.
    In the copyright section of the book's English language edition it is stated: There is no translator credited. Taking a quick look at...
  • D
    dc007777 replied to the thread Pulitzer Prizes.
    I think the only criterion for the books, drama and music categories is the nominees have to be US citizens.
  • D
    dc007777 reacted to Stevie B's post in the thread Recently finished books? with Haha Haha.
    I'm a Laura Linney fan as well. As far as Olympia Dukakis is concerned, I'm old enough to remember when she came to national prominence...
  • D
    I want to check it out mostly for Laura Linney and Olympia Dukakis!
  • D
    dc007777 reacted to Stevie B's post in the thread Recently finished books? with Like Like.
    I’ve read and enjoyed the first three books in The Tales of the City series, but never got around to Babycakes. It’s interesting to hear...
  • D
    dc007777 reacted to The Common Reader's post in the thread Recently finished books? with Like Like.
    I highly recommend Just Above My Head, it is everything you said about Baldwin's late work (passionate, lived-in, and messy) and much...
  • D
    Tales of the City, More Tales of the City, Further Tales of the City, and Babycakes-Armistead Maupin. First four books in Maupin's...
  • D
    dc007777 reacted to tiganeasca's post in the thread Recently Begun Books with Like Like.
    🇮🇳 Sarat Chandra Chatterji, Stories From Saratchandra 🇲🇾 Tan Twan Eng, The House of Doors 🇺🇸 Kai Bird and Martin Sherwin, American...