Recent content by Johnny

1. J

The Nobel Library

No problem, really great post on Sara Danius.
  2. J

The Nobel Library

Great post and a reminder what a great loss Sara Danius’ untimely passing was to literature. Small correction Banville is Irish, not British.
  3. J

International Booker Prize

Agreed, still Via Gemito remains high on the TBR. Maybe I’m being cynical but 6 different books in 6 different languages from 6 different countries from 3 continents looks like literary merit may not have been the only consideration.
  4. J

Was it not Gospodinov with Time Shelter?
  5. J

International IMPAC Dublin Literary Award

Agreed, seems a light enough list. The 2 standouts for me are Solenoid and Praiseworthy. Both authors seem to be getting a lot of recognition at the moment. I haven’t read Alexis Wright yet and only Blinding by Cartarescu which I thought was outstanding. Has anyone read Solenoid?
  6. J

Yes I agree the Starnone book jumped off the list for me as the most interesting, also. I’ve read him before and liked his writing a lot. Also Kadare is kind of fascinating, if he won I believe he’d be the first repeat winner( he was the very first winner when the prize was awarded for a body of...
  7. J

I just bought Mourning by Halfon, will be very interested to see if it’s as good. Cancion is on the Dublin International literary longlist ( shortlist to be announced in a few weeks) as is Crooked Plow.
  8. J

Haven’t read any of them, disappointing not to see Cancion by Eduardo Halfon on the list, just finished it and it’s great, will post a review when I get a chance.
  9. J

Recently finished books?

Merci beaucoup Nagisa for taking the time to write such a wonderful commentary on Gracq. Ah if only I could read him in French!
  10. J

Recently finished books?

Thank you for your response and I will indeed read those reviews. I found it very interesting your reference to patience and a demanding read. The Peninsula in the edition I have is small, pocket sized and just over 100 pages. I thought I would read it in a few sittings but it took we well over...
  11. J

Recently finished books?

The Peninsula, Julian Gracq I know very little about Gracq but I found this book very impressive. A man waits for his girlfriend / mistress at a station, she telegrams to say she’ll be late and he spends the day driving around rural Brittany revisiting his old childhood holiday spots. That’s it...
  12. J

Recently finished books?

I thought Summertime was the best of the trilogy. Highly innovative, written by a fictional biographer of the now deceased Coetzee who visits old lovers and friends as well as fragments of Coetzee’s diaries in researching his biography. Again a very unflattering portrait of the artist. A truly...
  13. J

Swedish Literature

Thanks for posting. I’ve only read The Tempest which I can strongly recommend. Great writer and very interesting guy.
  14. J

Nobel Prize in Literature 2023

Damion Searls reads the Forum, it doesn’t get much cooler than that!
  15. J

Recently Begun Books

Let’s hope so, this is on the short term TBR list for me. It would be great if he can go out with a masterpiece, the interview he just did seems to suggest this will be his last book.