Recent content by kpjayan

1. K

Indian Literature

https://www.telegraphindia.com/elections/lok-sabha-election-2024/constant-fear-of-backlash-tends-to-choke-the-creative-impulse-in-land-of-anandamath-politics-goes-missing-from-literature/cid/2017759 and some more names from the yester-years.. apart from a very relevant topic of 'oppression...
  2. K

What do you do?

imagine the long wait of one year for this flower to bloom for one night and wilt before dawn ( a life of 6 hrs). Last time, he/she decided to make her visit in our small apartment. It is known as 'Nishagandhi" ( queen of the night) or "Brahmakamal" in these part of the world. Understand it...
  3. K

Recently finished books?

'Sultry Moon' was the English Title, that I read. In agreement with your assessment. Not good.
  4. K

Recently finished books?

I haven't updated here for a while.. ?? Peter Handke - The Great Fall : I said elsewhere, very cerebral. An actor, in a new country to receive an award from the President of the Republic, decided to take a walk from his stay to the city centre and 'meets' various 'people / role / characters'...
  5. K

Best reads of 2023

I get the exact feeling. Will have to see if there are any study guide to this. The translation I am reading, except for a detailed introduction, does not have any other helping notes.
  6. K

Best reads of 2023

Incidentally, I've started reading this yesterday. The relatively new translation ( 2014 ) of Francis Johnson.
  7. K

Recently finished books?

I haven't read anything by her. While the stories sound 'cliched' in the Indian context, I would like to read her to see how she has taken this up. Thanks for the Stow recommendation as well.
  8. K

European Union Prize for Literature

https://publishingperspectives.com/2024/04/denmarks-theis-orntoft-wins-the-2024-eu-prize-for-literature/ Anyone familiar with him ?
  9. K

WLF Reading List 2024

haha.. typical Handke. Very cerebral, allusive writing. While you appreciate his craft, you cant really like it.
  10. K

WLF Reading List 2024

Just started. I like these kind of Saramago novels over 'Seeing', 'double', 'death at Interval' etc. 'Blindness' probably an exception.
  11. K

WLF Reading List 2024

Jan 1. ?? Ghassan Zaqtan - Strangers in Light Coats : Selected Poetry 2014-2020 *** 2. ?? Quinn Slobodian - CrackUp Capitalism *** 3. ?? T Ramanathan - Sannidhi Samvadam *** 4. ?? Martin Wikramasinghe - The Village ( Uprooted #1 ) *** 5. ?? Yannis Ristos - Selected Poems **** 6. ...
  12. K

Irish Literature

https://gript.ie/irish-ancient-literature-its-death-and-rediscovery-2/
  13. K

José Agustín (1944-2024)

Has that been translated ? I couldn't find any of his books in English.
  14. K

Recently finished books?

I have read about 4 books of Endo, and this and 'Scandal' weren't in the top of my list. I haven't read 'Silence' , will do it soon. Regarding Vivek Shanbagh, the new book Sakina's Kiss, I thought is a much better one, even though the style and language aren't top notch. It does faithfully...
  15. K

Recently Begun Books

I haven't read this book. But I thought The Box Man was also good, in a non-conventional way. Woman in the Dunes, is definitely far superior.