Recent content by Liam

1. Liam

Non-Writer Obituaries

^I thought he even made a cameo appearance in the film, but nope, I was confused. He definitely DOES make an appearance in Sex and the City, back in 1998, and he's wearing the same old oversized red tie! 🤭
  2. Liam

Non-Writer Obituaries

^I wouldn't put it past them, they've done it once before already, 😵‍💫
  3. Liam

Recent Purchases/Borrowings

I was hoping to give it a go when it came out in paperback but now I'm doubtful. I usually trust the taste(s) of my fellow board members here. Like you said: I probably wouldn't regret reading it, but at the same time I don't have much time to spare these days and it's a REALLY long book, a...
  4. Liam

What do you do?

I actually love to garden, but yeah, urban living and all. NYC is like one big concrete jungle. I love staying at my friend's house in Provincetown for that reason: he has so many amazing things growing in his yard! 🥰 [some photos I took in P-Town over the years]--
  5. Liam

New & Notable

^I just saw an advert on Youtube for Michael Cunningham's The Hours, which they've turned into an opera (playing at the Met). The great Renee Fleming is one of the voices!
  6. Liam

New & Notable

At the risk of stating the obvious, Dave, no one is exactly alike anyone else, 🤭
  7. Liam

New & Notable

^And what is your beef with Cunningham? 🤔
  8. Liam

New & Notable

Apparently Colm Toibin has written a sequel to his beloved novel Brooklyn. I'm not sure how I feel about this. While I don't have a problem with writers returning to some of their finest previous material, I kind of thought that the story of Eilis Lacey ended perfectly where and when it did...
  9. Liam

Paul Auster (1947-2024)

Wow! I was never his biggest fan but here in NYC he was basically a cultural institution. RIP.
  10. Liam

Your favourite painting

^Thanks Red, and yes, I am interested! :)
  11. Liam

Recently finished books?

I loved the movie, and I loved Gene Tierney in the lead role; it's too bad her mental health prevented her from having a career. She dropped off the radar in the 50s. I also didn't realize the film was based on a book of the same name!
  12. Liam

Your favourite painting

Just learned about a new artist (thanks to Wim Wenders' recent documentary): Anselm Kiefer. I am quite taken with his works, I must say! Found an interesting article here about the influence of Paul Celan's poetry on his work.
  13. Liam

Helen Vendler (1933-2024)

^She adored Heaney! I definitely remember that from the seminar, 🙃 Harvard has a Seamus Heaney room at Adams House, where he used to stay whenever he came to Cambridge. As a point of curiosity, Helen Vendler's favorite poem by Heaney was "Digging", and she taught it often.
  14. Liam

Ack! What happened to all the flags?

Same for me, I can only guess that there was a software update that wasn't able to convert, I'll ask Stewart.
  15. Liam

Helen Vendler (1933-2024)

Oh no! 😭 I absolutely adored her!! It was my honor and my privilege to take two classes with her as a grad student right before she retired. Both seminars were unforgettable. Despite her fierce reputation she was the kindest, gentlest, most attentive teacher and absolutely loved her students...