Phil D's latest activity

• Phil D
    Phil D reacted to Daniel del Real's post in the thread Paul Auster (1947-2024) with Sad Sad.
    https://www.theguardian.com/books/2024/may/01/paul-auster-dies-aged-77-death-american-author-new-york-trilogy
  • Phil D
    Phil D reacted to Rodica's post in the thread Recently Begun Books with Like Like.
    🇫🇷 Alain Fournier- The Lost Estate 🇺🇸 Theodore Roethke- Words for the Wind: The Collected Verse
  • Phil D
    Phil D reacted to tiganeasca's post in the thread Recently Begun Books with Like Like.
    🇮🇷 Simin Daneshvar, Sutra & Other Stories 🇷🇺 Ludmila Ulitskaya, The Big Green Tent
  • Phil D
    Phil D replied to the thread Recently finished books?.
    Oh really! I couldn't find an English translation. 'Sultry' works much better in the title than 'hot' though. Thanks for letting me...
  • Phil D
    Phil D reacted to kpjayan's post in the thread Recently finished books? with Like Like.
    'Sultry Moon' was the English Title, that I read. In agreement with your assessment. Not good.
  • Phil D
    Phil D reacted to Liam's post in the thread Recently finished books? with Like Like.
    I loved the movie, and I loved Gene Tierney in the lead role; it's too bad her mental health prevented her from having a career. She...
  • Phil D
    Phil D reacted to alik-vit's post in the thread Recently finished books? with Like Like.
    IMHO, "The Three Evangelists" series is much much better. Especially, first and third (last) novels! Really enjoyed.
  • Phil D
    I think the book is mostly remembered as the basis of the film, which I haven't seen but which I suspect is better. I came across the...
  • Phil D
    Phil D reacted to tiganeasca's post in the thread Recently finished books? with Like Like.
    I assume that this is the story on which the movie is based. I'll admit to never having heard of the author. But the movie is pretty...
  • Phil D
    🇺🇸 Vera Caspary - Laura (+) Satisfying noir-ish detective novel, though a little schematic and quite simple to solve before the end...
  • Phil D
    Phil D reacted to tiganeasca's post in the thread Jenny Erpenbeck with Like Like.
    from today's New York Times, a profile of Jenny Erpenbeck A Novelist Who Finds Inspiration in Germany’s Tortured History By Steven...
  • Phil D
    Phil D reacted to Hamishe22's post in the thread Recently finished books? with Haha Haha.
    Man I remember being so disappointed with The Sound of Waves. It was a very expensive copy, and I decided to empty my bank account for...
  • Phil D
    Phil D reacted to Hamishe22's post in the thread Recently finished books? with Love Love.
    Platero and I by Juan Ramon Jimenez A humble and gentle masterpiece. A series of poetic vignettes that describe the author's...
  • Phil D
    Phil D reacted to Chandos MD's post in the thread Recently Begun Books with Like Like.
    I’m gonna be staying in Texas for the next level of education/training after medical school so I’m working through some Texas classics...
  • Phil D
    Phil D replied to the thread Recently Begun Books.
    Just over halfway through the Stow and absolutely loving it. It's slow going coz we're reading out loud, but what we've read so far is...