Recent content by Rodica

1. R

Recent Purchases/Borrowings

I forgot to mention that I read the Romanian translation. I don't think you will perceive the book really long, it's more of a page-turner. Speaking of tastes, mine are pretty questionable, I don't even like chocolate.
  2. R

The plot is faithful to the original, the similarity of the names of the characters, she did a good job of transporting them to the Appalachian mountains but that just didn't work for me, I knew what was going to happen to them and I ended up getting bored. Having as a reference a classic story...
  3. R

I didn't like the book even though I have enough arguments that it is well documented, quite well written. In my opinion Kingsolver failed to tell the story in the first person so that the narrator's voice is believable. At the beginning of the book I thought it was strong enough, but gradually...
  4. R

Your favourite painting

Last December I read The King and the Corpse by Heinrich Zimmer. After Zimmer's death, Joseph Campbell structured this book based on notes with the author's commentaries on several ancient stories, one of these stories is that of Sir Gawain. I enjoyed reading the book but it was quite...
  5. R

Recently Begun Books

🇫🇷 Alain Fournier- The Lost Estate 🇺🇸 Theodore Roethke- Words for the Wind: The Collected Verse
  6. R

Your favourite painting

One of my favorite paintings is Untitled created in 1982 by Jean-Michel Basquiat. 4 years ago a friend talked to a painter who made this little painting that I still have above my desk.
  7. R

WLF Virtual Meet-up

Thank you so much for the wonderful opportunity to see and hear from all of you. Next time I will be more coherent, I hope…?
  8. R

Georgian Literature

I recently finished reading The Eighth Life by Nino Haratischwili and looked over the Fiction from Georgia anthology mentioned here by @Liam which has a short story Once Upon a Time in Georgia by Aka Morchiladze. I haven't gotten to it yet.
  9. R

Library Lovers' Day (February 14)

I thought the same thing, as if their mere presence disturbed them. After I thought about 11 year olds transitioning to adults, I hope it wasn't as scary as I imagined being around those adults.
  10. R

WLF Virtual Meet-up

Count me in… both days are ok for me.
  11. R

Library Lovers' Day (February 14)

Public reading in my city (within an institution) begins in the Popular Library organized in the University Library building. The Popular library, intended for the general public, was inaugurated on May 14, 1921. It had a hall with 70 seats and a warehouse, which held 1500 volumes in Romanian...
  12. R

WLF Virtual Meet-up

If it's Saturday, the time doesn't matter to me. I'm quite nocturnal, the only times I feel miserable are between 5-8 a.m., (every day when I go to work ?) but I’ll manage even then.
  13. R

Romanian Literature

Of course, I'll let you know after I read it.
  14. R

Romanian Literature

I only have Avalon, which I haven't read yet, he has about 10 books published here, most of them by Polirom. Avalon was recommended to me by a friend, I only know that it is an autobiographical novel, most of his books have positive reviews.
  15. R

Understanding Nobel Prize: A Lofty and Sound Idealism: 1901---1906

There’s nothing to apologize for, I rely on autocorrect when I write here. ☺️ Thank you for the name.