Recent content by zhang wei

1. Z

Nobel Prize in Literature 2023 Speculation

Chu T'ien-hsin,who once said that at least 10 Chinese writers were more deserving of a Nobel Prize than Gao Xingjian,is one of the most famous female writers in Taiwan, and her elder sister Chu Tʽien-wen is even more famous, they are Taiwan's Bronte sisters,and they are deeply influenced by...
  2. Z

Can Xue certainly has a chance, but if this time the prize goes to another Chinese writer, such as Yan Lianke or Yang Lian, then Can Xue will have to wait at least another decade, and she must stay healthy.
  3. Z

Sienkiewicz'short stories are not bad,there were many worse winners before 1945. Kjell Espmark(1930-2022),lifetime member of the Swedish Academy,once told the Chinese media, the Swedish academy hold popular standard before 1945, this is the result of their understanding of Nobel wills that Nobel...
  4. Z

Here's another list called "The 60 Greatest Chinese Writers of the Century",selected by 25 Chinese critics and 40,000 readers in 2005,I'll only list the top 20 too. 1.Lu Xun(1881-1936) 2.Eileen Chang(1920-1995) 3.Shen Congwen(1902-1988) 4.Lao She(1899-1966) 5.Mao Dun(1896-1981) 6.Jia...
  5. Z

Chinese Literature

Here's another list called "The 60 Greatest Chinese Writers of the Century",selected by 25 Chinese critics and 40,000 readers in 2005,I'll only list the top 20 too. 1.Lu Xun(1881-1936) 2.Eileen Chang(1920-1995) 3.Shen Congwen(1902-1988) 4.Lao She(1899-1966) 5.Mao Dun(1896-1981) 6.Jia...
  6. Z

Here is a list of the “100 greatest Chinese novels of the 20th century”,selected by 14 Chinese critics from different Chinese speaking regions, including the mainland, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Malaysia, Singapore, and even North America.The list is too long, I'll only list the top 20. 1.Call to...
  7. Z

Chinese Literature

Here is a list of the “100 greatest Chinese novels of the 20th century”,selected by 14 Chinese critics from different Chinese speaking regions, including the mainland, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Malaysia, Singapore, and even North America.The list is too long, I'll only list the top 20. 1.Call to...
  8. Z

In fact, Mo Yan was the first mainland writer to become famous in Taiwan. Mo Yan's work had already attracted attention in Taiwan in the 1980s and had a great influence on young writers in Taiwan at that time. Gao Xingjian only became known after he won the prize in 2000,his reputation in Taiwan...
  9. Z

To be honest, I don't think Gao Xingjian can compare with Mo Yan, they're not on the same level. When Gao Xingjian won the Nobel Prize in 2000, many Chinese critics laughed at the jury, because the jury seems completely ignorant of contemporary Chinese literature. Gao Xingjian is only a...
  10. Z

Zhang Chengzhi The greatest romantic writer in contemporary China, and a well-known admirer of Mao.Can you imagine? He was the founder of the Red Guard ! The "Red Guard" was his pen name during his student days.So he's also a historical figure who had a huge impact on China, which is why many...
  11. Z

Wang Shuo When we talk about Chinese contemporary literature, we must talk about him. His influence in China in the 1990s was unmatched and he was one of the most controversial writers.Some people say he is the only writer of genius in China since 1949, some people say he is just a popular...
  12. Z

A Lai The most famous Tibetan writer in China today. His masterpiece,Red Poppies,is a huge famous epic novel, considered to be one of the greatest novels in China in the last 50 years. It tells the story of tribes in Tibet before 1949, kind of like Mel Gibson's film Apocalypto,but with a larger...
  13. Z

Chinese Literature

A Lai The most famous Tibetan writer in China today. His masterpiece,Red Poppies,is a huge famous epic novel, considered to be one of the greatest novels in China in the last 50 years. It tells the story of tribes in Tibet before 1949, kind of like Mel Gibson's film Apocalypto,but with a larger...
  14. Z

Cao Naiqian Goran Malmqvist(1924-2019), a jury member for the Nobel Prize in Literature, once said that Cao Naiqian was one of the most qualified Chinese writers to win the prize.His most famous work,There’s Nothing I Can Do When I Think of You Late at Night,was magically translated into English...
  15. Z

Chinese Literature

Cao Naiqian Goran Malmqvist(1924-2019), a jury member for the Nobel Prize in Literature, once said that Cao Naiqian was one of the most qualified Chinese writers to win the prize.His most famous work,There’s Nothing I Can Do When I Think of You Late at Night,was magically translated into English...