Search results

1. garzuit

Nobel Prize in Literature 2021 Speculation

How can you be a moderator in a literature forum, and tell users here they are terrible readers? I didn't sign in here to see the same crap of Twitter, FB, etc. You act like you are the only authoritative figure here and god help us all if we like an author you don't like, because we get...
  2. garzuit

Jaume Cabré (novelist) writes in Catalan. I think his name was mentioned in the 2020 Nobel thread.
  3. garzuit

I don´t like the idea of a joint prize to two authors only because they were born in the same geographical region. They may not be from the same generation, literary movement or even the same genre. I don´t see any similarities or common themes between Asturias and Borges, for example. A shared...
  4. garzuit

Well, also "chili" is a spicy pepper or a spicy dish served hot, not a country...
  5. garzuit

Funny that you mention Banville. I finished The Sea today and it was so... dull. Yes, there are beautiful descriptions of the Irish scenery, cottages, etc. but the characters in the present/past were emotionally empty, and the mini revelation in the last 5 pages couldn't justify the other 145...
  6. garzuit

Pulitzer Prizes

Louise Erdrich has won the Pulitzer Prize for fiction 2021 for her novel The Night Watchman. I only have read one of her novels, The Round House, and it was marvelous. It was about how a family in a North Dakota indian preservation copes with the rape of the mother, and the 13 year-old boy seeks...
  7. garzuit

Read that novel now, my friend. One of the best books you'll read in years. I would say Aramburu doesn't have the international projection to win the Nobel though, I also don't know if the rest of his books are of the same quality as Patria.
  8. garzuit

Nobel Prize in Literature 1970

We should take these nominations with a grain of salt. I am not trying to discredit any of the writers in the list, but I see that the Uruguayan professor/writer nominated an obscure Uruguayan poet, the Puerto Rican professor/writer nominated an obscure Puerto Rican poet, the Argentinian...
  9. garzuit

WARNING--it's another "100 best" list! (from Folha de São Paulo)

What I am surprised to see is that there are no novels by Jorge Amado, in a Brazilian list of 100 best novels of the XX century.
  10. garzuit

Great Novels of the Contemporary Zeitgeist.

It may not be everyone´s cup of tea, but Michel Houellebecq´s The Map and the Territory had almost everything about the Zeitgeist circa 2010. Bill Gates, Obama, some French references that I'm sure escaped me, the present state of the monetization in art's circles, etc.
  11. garzuit

Recently finished books?

?? Fernando Aramburu, Patria. (Homeland in the English translation) It's a novel about 2 families in Basque country. The parents in one family are close friends to the parents in the other family, the daughters are also friends, etc. But ETA kills the head of the first family, whereas the son...
  12. garzuit

WARNING--it's another "100 best" list! (from Folha de São Paulo)

Really solid list, you can argue there are omissions (perhaps: Hemingway, Joseph Roth, Julio Cortázar, Chinua Achebe, Yukio Mishima, off the top of my head), but the books that are included there deserve their spot. It's refreshing to see a list from a non-English speaking country, as otherwise...
  13. garzuit

International Booker Prize

What´s up with English translators and their fondness of changing the titles of books? This is something that I have only seen in that language. Labatut's novel title should be translated as something like "A frightful greenery", instead it's When We Cease to Understand the World in English...
  14. garzuit

Joseph Roth: The Radetzky March

Just finished this masterpiece today. We witness not just the decline of an empire, but the disappearing of an entire world, customs, and a unifying monarchy that ruled over 50 million people, a great number of them who didn't speak German or were not Catholic. Franz Trotta and Franz Joseph are...
  15. garzuit

Introduce yourself

I've heard great things about the trilogy Green Valleys, Red Hills by Basque author Ramiro Pinilla. It was included in the "100 best novels in Spanish in the last 25 years". I have the first volume, I hope I can read it soon.
  16. garzuit

Introduce yourself

Hello Javi, welcome! I've read Zalacaín el Aventurero from Baroja, and I really enjoyed it. What other writers in Spanish do you like?
  17. garzuit

Javier Marías

Yes, my hometown is "featured" in the two most important novels in Spanish of the XXI century, more in one than in the other, and... not in a good way. It's understandable, given everything that has happened there in the last 30 years (cartel wars, crime, violence, impunity, unresolved...
  18. garzuit

Javier Marías

Keep on reading, it gets really, really, really good. I hope I don't overhype it for you, but the entire experience of the 3 books together (I read the edition that merges them into a single book) has been one of the most enjoyable I had with a book. With Marias, the plot may not be the most...
  19. garzuit

V.S. Naipaul

The Spanish translation is superb, there are some entire passages that are pure poetry. Without mentioning spoilers, I vaguely remember one part about a hut in ruins during a storm, and something was hanging from the roof (that's more or less what I remember, it's been many years, sorry). The...