Search results

1. Dante

International Booker Prize

I am sorry that Starnone didn't make it to the shortlist. At this point, I will root for Hwang Sok-yong. Of the remaining ones, I am also intrigued by that Dutch novel, What I'd rather not think about. Has anyone read it?
  2. Dante

Sure, it's a short but compelling read, a good starting point if you want to get a sense of Starnone's style. :)
  3. Dante

They've been waiting for over 20 years, after all. A few additional months probably won't make too much of a difference now!
  4. Dante

Via Gemito likely hasn't been translated into Spanish yet due to its considerable length, as it is one of Starnone's voluminous works. For publishers, it's typically more advantageous to initially introduce a recognized literary author into a new market with her/his smaller novels, since...
  5. Dante

Thanks, Leseratte :) I think @Verkhovensky wrote that, and I can't help but confirm it. Especially as a southern Italian.
  6. Dante

I actually believe that Starnone is one of the two halves of Elena Ferrante... and the other one might be Anita Raja, his wife!
  7. Dante

I was happy to see two Italian books that I thoroughly enjoyed, on the longlist: now I've actually got someone to root for! Especially Via Gemito by Domenico Starnone, since I do appreciate his writing and that book is widely considered his masterpiece. It also won the Premio Strega in 2001...
  8. Dante

Nordic Council Literature Prize

The winner of this year's Nordic Council Literature Prize has been announced and it is Ihågkom oss till liv, a "genre-transcending" graphic novel by the Swedish author Joanna Rubin Dranger. edit: Link to the article in English
  9. Dante

Ernesto Ferrero (1938-2023)

Ernesto Ferrero, writer, editor, and former director of Turin's Bookfair, has passed away today. In 2000, he also won the Strega Prize, the most prestigious Italian literary award, for the novel N.
  10. Dante

Recently finished books?

?? This Should Be Written in the Present Tense by Helle Helle Nothing really happens in this story and that's what I liked about it, for once. A novel that pushes you to read between the lines as the narrator passes over the most notable events. I have sensed a strong influence from Tove...
  11. Dante

French Literature

I've read Charlotte, his most famous novel: it was a quick reading, but I've almost forgotten anything related to that book. He is quite popular in France, but not considered among the "great writers" nowadays.
  12. Dante

The Next Generation: Future Nobel Prizewinners?

Yeah, Nobel-wise, being a Neustadt Prize finalist sounds more reassuring than winning it.
  13. Dante

The Next Generation: Future Nobel Prizewinners?

I can see Guadalupe Nettel as a serious contender in the future. She's only 50 years old, but she has been already a Neustadt Prize finalist and recently she also got shortlisted for the International Booker Prize. But foremost, she's published by Fitzcarraldo. ?
  14. Dante

Nobel Prize in Literature 2023 Speculation

Stewart dropping the curtain in 3, 2, 1
  15. Dante

I'm at the office right now, but I've already booked a meeting room and in an hour I'll go there pretending to work while watching the live announcement. ?
  16. Dante

Careful don't let Dave hear you. ?
  17. Dante

Somebody went wild here!
  18. Dante

Forgot about it! Mine's Rushdie. :)
  19. Dante

These are my five final candidates: – C. Aira – J. Fosse – Hwang Sok-yong – G. Murnane – Yan Lianke Alea iacta est