Search results

1. SpaceCadet

Non-Writer Obituaries

I have not read any of his books and I have never watched 'Apostrophe' or 'Bouillon de culture', but I have seen him in a more recent interview he'd given after the publication of Lire! (co-written with his daughter). He obviously has devoted his entire life to words, books, etc. and did...
  2. SpaceCadet

Cecilia Meireles

Indeed. And it is regrettable that her work has not been translated.
  3. SpaceCadet

Cecilia Meireles

Some of her poems and/or extracts of it can be read in English translation here and here too.
  4. SpaceCadet

Arabic Literature

I don't know if I am the only one in this case, but here, I get an 'Error 404' message from this link.
  5. SpaceCadet

Recently finished books?

I had a similar impression while reading Terre des oublis (No Man's Land), translated to French by Phan Huy Duong. Since two out of three other titles I have read by this author were translated by Phan Huy Duong, yet I could not recall any such impression from those, I came to the conclusion...
  6. SpaceCadet

Recently Begun Books

I've been intrigued by 'Queen Ginga'. I'll be looking forward to your comments on this one. Also, I would like to know how you would rate it compared with the other titles you have already read by this author.
  7. SpaceCadet

Recently finished books?

Here is my take on some recent readings : Having started this year with French Canadian literature, I decided to keep going a bit that way, this time picking what I expected to be a sure bet. A master of words, of playwords, of figures of speech, and so forth, Réjean Ducharme is one of my...
  8. SpaceCadet

Recently finished books?

I have not read anything by Prabda Yoon. Other than writing fiction, he has been involved in various activities such as translation, writing scripts, graphic design, etc. Personnaly, I would not see him as a writer per se, and would keep that in mind when reading his work. He has worked with...
  9. SpaceCadet

José Agustín (1944-2024)

If that can be of any use, I have spotted some translations into French: Se está haciendo tarde TR: Acapulco 72, De perfil TR: Mexico Midi Moins Cinq, La tumba TR: La tombe.
  10. SpaceCadet

Recently finished books?

Hello everyone. It’s been a while since I last reported on my readings. I wish I could be more active on this forum, but life is life and as long as it’s keeping me away from my dear books, I only can manage a few pages here and there. My ‘breakfast with Shakespeare’ project is still going...
  11. SpaceCadet

Library Lovers' Day (February 14)

Surprisingly, although I love books and I enjoy being surrounded by books, I have not developed that sort of 'love' relationship with libraries that you guys are talking about. EDIT: There were no public library near where I grew up and my parents never took me to any. And although during...
  12. SpaceCadet

Vassilis Vassilikos (1933-2023)

Best known for Z, a novel which is the basis of a film directed by Costa-Gavras, Vassilis Vassilikos passed away in Novembre 2023. He has published a substantial number of novels, among which some have been translated to English as well as into various languages. More about him can be read here...
  13. SpaceCadet

Season's Greetings!

Many thanks and best whishes to our Staff members. I whish you all many good books and reading times, and a healthy new year.
  14. SpaceCadet

Recently finished books?

As far as I know of that book, Han Kang first wrote a short story that was published in English translation in 1997 as 'The Fruit of My Woman' (it can be read here). She later reworked and published the same story in 2004 in a Korean magazine called Quaterly Changbi. That version of the story...
  15. SpaceCadet

Christmas Traditions over the World

I forgot to mention Epiphany (6 of january). I usually go the extra mile in order to get what is called a 'galette des rois' (king cake). One of my favorite pastry. Just like @wordeater mentionned, it is stuffed with a bean, usually sold together with a paper crown, to be shared with family or...
  16. SpaceCadet

Christmas Traditions over the World

Since so far I have spent most of my adult life 'abroad', my own definition of 'tradition' has greatly change over the years, thus leaning toward 'adaptation' to whatever circumstances I am in. Nevertheless, there almost always been some sort of Christmas decoration in our house and even if most...
  17. SpaceCadet

Presentation: My Personal Top 150

Such a difficult and demanding task; I would not dare try. Congrats!
  18. SpaceCadet

Recently finished books?

Yet it seems it has been translated to French, Spanish, Catalan, Dutch and Italian.
  19. SpaceCadet

Duong Thu Huong

Here are some biographical and bibliographical notes on this author: https://www.gale.com/intl/databases-explored/literature/duong-thu-huong
  20. SpaceCadet

Recently finished books?

In my opinion, @nagisa's recommendations are pretty accurate!