Search results

1. J

Antonio Lobo Antunes

Here they are! I intended to post pictures of the first few pages but i'm guessing it's easier on the eye through this link! https://www.dn.pt/edicao-do-dia/12-out-2020/novo-romance-de-antonio-lobo-antunes-da-vozes-ao-antigo-pcp-leia-aqui-12906289.html I have a weird physical reaction to his...
  2. J

Peter Handke

The Moravian Night is set to be published in Portugal around December. In case anyone might be interested!
  3. J

Peter Handke

I found it straight boring. But I must admit that I probably didn't try to appreciate the movie for what it was! So I've decided to watch it again. Maybe now my biased nobel lenses will find it enjoyable. ? That 3D experience was probably interesting. From what I remember, which is basically...
  4. J

Nobel Prize in Literature 2020 Speculation

I get way to anxious over this! My favorite time of the year. I fell like I'm waiting for an extremely important exam... ?? Thank You all for your insights! Yesterday I only slept after reading the entire topic. I'm not nearly as smart or well read as you, but it's always I joy to read your...
  5. J

Peter Handke

That's a shame! I have to say, all the discussion regarding Handke's Nobel got me curious. I have two of his books that I bought a few years ago, but this was an excellent excuse to get The Fruit Thief like the hoarder I am ? Just came back from the library, sat and read a few pages and I quite...
  6. J

Peter Handke

Hey Bartleby! Don't know if you already got it or if you're still interested in the book! https://relogiodagua.pt/ Check out their website! They have a notice about international shipping being cheaper than before. Maybe it's still very expensive but I thought maybe you would be interested!
  7. J

Antonio Lobo Antunes

Wow, thank you so much redheadshadz! I hope everything is going well with friends, family and everyone is safe! I'll make sure to post some pictures of the book and the first few pages when it's delivered!
  8. J

Antonio Lobo Antunes

Bought mine today! It's my birthday tradition ? Even if I don't read the book immediately
  9. J

Our Personal Libraries

It's so much fun to nitpick someone's library! I'll probably post mine, and then proceed to the questions! Perhaps I exaggerated in the pictures, so i'll just post a link ? Library Now I'm off to read and see all the other posts!
  10. J

Recent Purchases/Borrowings

60€?? That's awesome! I wish I could get books so cheap in Portugal! Looking forward to hear your opinion on Blank Gaze by Peixoto! I've read it a few years ago. That book won him the Saramago Prize in 2001.
  11. J

Antonio Lobo Antunes

https://jornaleconomico.sapo.pt/noticias/antonio-lobo-antunes-estou-me-a-lixar-para-o-nobel-os-premios-nao-melhoram-os-livros-501134 Here it is :ROFLMAO:
  12. J

Antonio Lobo Antunes

I'll leave this here in case anyone's interested. Colóquio: António Lobo Antunes. 40 anos de vida literária:
  13. J

Recently finished books?

Juan Gabriel Vásquez - Las Reputaciones ⭐⭐ + It fell a bit short to what I hoped for. The last third of the booked seemed a bit rushed for me.
  14. J

Portuguese Literature

Thank you so much for the kind words! I'll try to answer to all of you in order! Yesterday I meant do write a bigger post and add some more names, but I was very sleep deprived and had only a couple of hours to rest before I went to work! I could't resist to share a bit, Daniel's post made me so...
  15. J

Portuguese Literature

- Afonso Cruz (one of the trending writers in the last years in Portugal, along with Peixoto, Mãe, Ondjaki, Tordo and M. Tavares, with Tavares being probably the best of them all.) Albeith not being proof of quality, everyone loves Cruz, mostly great critics, and he won a few prizes...
  16. J

Portuguese Literature

I'm a Portuguese reader and I share your thoughts exactly. I tried reading A Desumanização and I hated it. It seemed so empty and boring, always trying to sound very deep and philosophical, and like you said, trying to be beautiful and poetic with all of those short sentences. I even found that...
  17. J

Spanish Literature

Great words my friend, may he rest in peace. Found the news while choosing a book of his to read. Morbid timing though. Ended up choosing Los disparos del cazador because the local library doesn't own any of his other works.
  18. J

Spanish Literature

Rafael Chirbes died yesterday of lung cancer. :( http://cultura.elpais.com/cultura/2015/08/15/actualidad/1439657617_135750.html