Search results

1. S

Javier Marias (1951-2022)

Shocking news! He was at the height of his literary powers. I always thought he would be the next Spanish writing Nobel awardee. What a huge loss for world literature!
  2. S

Almudena Grandes (1960 - 2021)

The Frozen Heart and Wind from the East (Los Aires Difíciles) were very good. She wrote very long noveles (700+ pages) in a realistic style. Her later work was a series of five novels dealing with the aftermath of the Spanish civil war and with life under the Franco regime.
  3. S

Almudena Grandes (1960 - 2021)

https://www.laprensalatina.com/acclaimed-spanish-writer-almudena-grandes-dies/
  4. S

Mario Vargas Llosa

Impressive voting results for Don Mario. Good for him! He's the first member of the Académie who hasn't written anything in French. Moreover, they made the exception of honoring him despite being well over the age limit of 75.
  5. S

Wilbur Smith (1933-2021)

Sad news! I was a big fan of Wilbur Smith decades ago, in particular of his novels set in Southern Africa.
  6. S

César Aira

:) He can be very ironic and funny even in interviews.
  7. S

Nobel Prize in Literature 2021 Speculation

It could be Aira's time :)
  8. S

WLF Prize in Literature 2021

My top vote goes to Kadare Then Krazhahorkai, Thiongo, Can
  9. S

Paolo Maurensig (1943-2021)

How sad! Years ago, I read his beautiful novel Canone Inverso.
  10. S

International IMPAC Dublin Literary Award

Why trash? Did you hate the book or you hate her?
  11. S

International Booker Prize

I'm glad Mariana Enríquez made it into the shortlist. The Danger of Smoking in Bed is quite a gem of a collection: surrealistic? gothic? perverse? Please, read it and tell me what you think.
  12. S

Prix Formentor

Well, I've become a huge fan of Aira. As Daniel mentioned, his work has a cumulative effect, as if he had been writing a neverending novel since he started back in 1979. This is the only piece I found in English https://pledgetimes.com/argentine-writer-cesar-aira-formentor-award/ There are...
  13. S

International Booker Prize

A very promising list of nominees. I read Mariana Enriquez's The Dangers of Smoking in Bed, a thrilling collection of short stories with a nuanced tint horror and the supernatural.
  14. S

Larry McMurtry (1936-2021)

...and his novel, also turned into a successful movie, Terms of Endearment
  15. S

Caribbean literature

Martinique: Patrice Chamoiseau Trinidad & Tobago: V.S. Naipaul
  16. S

10 favourite dead writers

William Shakespeare Joseph Conrad Joseph Roth William Faulkner Virginia Woolf Jorge Luis Borges Gabriel García Márquez Nadine Gordimer Antonio Tabucchi Anton Chekhov
  17. S

Favorite French novel?

Madame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert.
  18. S

Peter Adolphsen: Machine

Thanks for the review, Stewart. I read this short novel some years ago. I found it quite ingenious, with a wink or two to Borges and Calvino. The book came with the companion nouvelle Brummstein, also cleverly done.
  19. S

WLF Prize in Literature 2021

A fun idea. Let's each of us propose three writers before a deadline for submission, then rank these writers according to their aggregate votes and select the top five to make up the shortlist.
  20. S

Quino (1932 - 2020)

They declared a national mourning day for Quino in Argentina yesterday. We lived our lives surrounded by Mafalda's innocently witty remarks. Quino will be missed but Mafalda and her friends will be his legacy forever. I wasn't aware that he was also well appreciated in Mexico and Brazil.