Search results

1. alik-vit

What do you do?

We have this one in the Botanic garden of SPb, and it's great annual attraction for visitors (night opening, etc.). But your flower is perfect! Not great fan of cacti, but this one is great! Congratulations on this visitation! Best guest is rare guest)))
  2. alik-vit

What do you do?

The German nickname is great one!!! It fits to the flower very well!
  3. alik-vit

What do you do?

Amazing foxgloves! And very beautiful hydrangea!
  4. alik-vit

What do you do?

It's viola tricolor. Russian nickname of this flower is Eyes of little Anna (Anyuta), which is a little bit scary. This time of year we have only wild species:
  5. alik-vit

What do you do?

I know, folks, you are not big fans of gardening, but I want to boast of my newest "pet". It's imperial fritillary. I planted the bulbs last Sempetmber and voila! There is + 6 C outside, but the flower is in its full beauty!
  6. alik-vit

Recently Begun Books

"Jazz" is love of my life. Truly amazing book.
  7. alik-vit

Recently finished books?

Mia Couto, Sleepwalking Land - I think, it's his best novel. (But I didn't read whole Sands of the Emperor, only its first volume, so....). There are all his typical features (mythical elements in twists of plot, wordplay, usage of secondary speech through diary or letters, etc.), but somehow...
  8. alik-vit

Recently Begun Books

Ananda Devi, When night agrees to speak to me Hayden White, The Practical Past (in Rus.)
  9. alik-vit

Recent Purchases/Borrowings

Anne Carson, Wrong Norma (and it's really book with wight and presence, bigger than her typical shorter volumes) Aase Berg, Dark matter (in Rus.).
  10. alik-vit

Recently Begun Books

And I can see why. But still, it seems his language is very poetic!
  11. alik-vit

Recently finished books?

IMHO, "The Three Evangelists" series is much much better. Especially, first and third (last) novels! Really enjoyed.
  12. alik-vit

Recently Begun Books

Part of this Couto's novel?
  13. alik-vit

Recently Begun Books

Mia Couto, " Sleepwalking Land".
  14. alik-vit

Recently Begun Books

Yes, I did read "A General Theory of Oblivion" (it was good), "The Book of Chameleons" (it was fantastic!), "Creole" (it was OK) and now "Queen Ginga" (it's OK too). Main problem of the book (IMHO) is huge disproportion between its volume (130 pp or something) and density of its action. I can't...
  15. alik-vit

Recently Begun Books

"Murambi, The book of bones" by Boubacar Boris Diop "Queen Ginga and how Africans invented the world" by José Eduardo Agualusa
  16. alik-vit

Recently Begun Books

Maryse Conde, "The Wondrous and Tragic Life of Ivan and Ivana" (in Rus.). Kind of "RIP read". A half a book in, and by this moment it's interesting. A think, it's correct word: not good, or great, or enjoyable, but interesting.
  17. alik-vit

Recent Purchases/Borrowings

New parcel from USA: two books about Aby Warburg One book about Fred Wilson "Captives" by Norman Manea "The country of planks" by Raul Zurita "Murambi, The book of bones" by Boubacar Boris Diop
  18. alik-vit

WLF Reading List 2024

He is more reserved here, IMHO. In the Saramago's it's (usually) story with happy end.
  19. alik-vit

WLF Reading List 2024

By the way, I had similar feelings. In 2005 or something I did read it first time. In 2018, after visiting Lisbon, I did read it again. And both times I was struck by its boredom. And usually I loved his novels! But it seems, female characters is his blind spot. And this recurring trop of affair...
  20. alik-vit

WLF Reading List 2024

And what about this one? It's "typical Handke" or "typical good Handke"?)))