Search results

1. Stevie B

Recently finished books?

I'm a Laura Linney fan as well. As far as Olympia Dukakis is concerned, I'm old enough to remember when she came to national prominence for her role in "Moonstruck" as well as for being related to Democratic presidential nominee Michael Dukakis. These two things coincided with one another one...
  2. Stevie B

Recently finished books?

I’ve read and enjoyed the first three books in The Tales of the City series, but never got around to Babycakes. It’s interesting to hear how that one has a shift in tone and content. I’m curious if you intend to check out the TV miniseries that was produced about twenty years ago. I’m a little...
  3. Stevie B

The Book Recommendations Thread

I never realized I could possibly find the citrus industry interesting until I read Oranges by John McPhee. I still recall reading that entire trees are harvested at the same time. The oranges you miss picking while in the tree, but later see clearly from the ground are called "shiners." I also...
  4. Stevie B

I haven't read it, but a book that might be taught this summer in the Upward Bound program at my school is The Far Away Brothers. There is also a version that has been adapted for teens.
  5. Stevie B

Since you mentioned Krakauer, how about Into the Wild? It's an engaging read and is 240 pages long. Tim O'Brien's The Things They Carried sits at 233 pages.
  6. Stevie B

Recently finished books?

There's a well-known Japanese saying that translates as "the nail that sticks up gets pounded down." I think bullying relates, to some degree, to the value of social conformity that is omnipresent in Japan. School bullying is especially problematic because teachers often play a role in...
  7. Stevie B

Recently finished books?

Your description of the Stow novel sounds intriguing, but I'll first need to start with my unread copy of Tourmaline. I looked over the first chapter when I bought the book last year, and I recall a very poetic writing style, one that would reward a slower, more patient reading approach...
  8. Stevie B

The 'Recently Watched Films' Thread

Nice job on the article, Bartleby. You have a ? and a new follower from Minnesota!
  9. Stevie B

Recently finished books?

Melancholy II by Jon Fosse ⭐⭐⭐⭐ Although I've found Fosse's trademark repetition off-putting in the past, I didn't mind it in this book because it actually helped demonstrate the muddled thinking of the main character of Oline, an aging woman who forgets easily and who obsesses over daily tasks...
  10. Stevie B

Recently Begun Books

I just noticed a subtitled English version is also available on Archive.org. I watched the first fifteen minutes. I'll probably finish the film at some point, but I wasn't loving it.
  11. Stevie B

Recently Begun Books

I meant "The Woman in the Dunes" film. I didn't know a film had been made of the other novel.
  12. Stevie B

Recently Begun Books

I was also not a fan of The Face of Another. It's not a long book, but it took me a while to finish it because I was always reluctant to pick it up again. I liked The Ark Sakura more, but it still doesn't compare to The Woman in the Dunes, a novel I appreciated more the second time around. By...
  13. Stevie B

Happy Birthday, Benny Profane!

Hope you've had a good one, Benny!
  14. Stevie B

Recently Begun Books

:ROFLMAO: I don't disagree.
  15. Stevie B

Recently Begun Books

Although I found the character of Naomi annoying at times, I recall still enjoying the book, overall. I read the novel as a young college student, years before I taught in Japan, so I'm not sure if I'd still have a favorable opinion if I were to reread it. Certainly, it is a minor work in...
  16. Stevie B

International Booker Prize

I'm about halfway through Crooked Plow, and my thoughts seem to align with those of your friends. I'm finding the storyline and topic intriguing, but the writing itself does not stand out in any way There's also a key plot point early on that seems a bit of a stretch. Perhaps my expectations...
  17. Stevie B

Watched "The Quiet Girl" last night, a film based on the novella Foster by Claire Keegan. So so good! The movie is slight on plot and heavy on character development. It tells the story of a nine-year-old girl growing up in a dysfunctional family in the 1980s in rural Ireland. She is shipped off...
  18. Stevie B

Recently Begun Books

The only thing I know about Shakopee is that it hosts a major youth soccer tournament every summer, one that my twin daughters played in many times. My daughters' team, easily dismissed since they hailed from the sticks "up north," shocked those Twin Cities suburban teams one summer by winning...
  19. Stevie B

Made a point to see Zone of Interest this week since it received such glowing reviews on the Forum. I was really transfixed by the film. Even though the much of the movie is shot in the Commandant's home just outside of Auschwitz, it's clear the family compound is no protective bubble. Auschwitz...
  20. Stevie B

I'm running out of space

I couldn't help but notice the copy of Island by Alistair MacLeod on your table. It's a shame that such a master storyteller wrote so little during his lifetime. Only sixteen short stories and one novel for a man who lived to his mid-seventies. By the way, MacLeod's "The Vastness of the Dark"...