Search results

1. Verkhovensky

David Albahari (1948-2023)

Famous Serbian writer of Sephardic Jewish descent David Albahari has died today at the age of 75 in Belgrade. He lived in Canada from 1994 to 2012, and was born in Kosovo. There was a thread about him on this board, so I guess there are people who read him.
  2. Verkhovensky

Milan Kundera (1929-2023)

https://www.praguemorning.cz/milan-kundera-dies/ So no Nobel for him.
  3. Verkhovensky

Dubravka Ugrešić (1949-2023)

Croatian-Dutch writer died today, March 17, 2023 in Amsterdam surrounded by friends and family. More details to follow.
  4. Verkhovensky

Goals for 2021

Ok, it's still very early in the new year (many of our friends are still in 2020 while I am writing this) but I already had my list prepared, so I decided to post it, why not. Firstly, this are "traditional" cathegories: 5 Books to Read in 2021 5 Authors to Read More in 2021 5 Authors to...
  5. Verkhovensky

John Le Carre (1931-2020)

Terrible 2020 takes another victim sadly, as famous spy fiction author John Le Carre passed away today aged 89. John Le Carre dies aged 89 I would recommend to anyone who has never read him his marvelous shorter novel The Spy Who Came in From the Cold. Also of course other novels about George...
  6. Verkhovensky

E. L. Doctorow

Edward Lawrence Doctorow (1931 - 2015), an American novelist. He is best known for his "popular, critically admired and award-winning novels [that] situated fictional characters in recognizable historical contexts, among identifiable historical figures and often within unconventional narrative...
  7. Verkhovensky

Goals for 2020

Well, no-one of the older members of the Forum opened this thread, so I will. My list as it follows: 5 Writers to Read for the First Time ?? Bohumil Hrabal ?? Italo Calvino ?? John Banville ?? Nadine Gordimer ?? Heinrich Böll 5 Writers to Read More ?? Graham Greene (read 1 so far) ?? Isaac...