Search results

1. Leemo

Elfriede Jelinek

I'm quite curious to read a book from Jelinek, which I've yet to do. Would experienced readers of hers recommend that I start with The Piano Teacher, even if I've already seen (and loved) the film adaptation, or am I better off starting somewhere else?
  2. Leemo

WLF Prize 2024 - Anne Carson

Would Beauty of the Husband be a bad place to start? It's the only work of hers I already own..
  3. Leemo

Recently finished books?

Perhaps I'm alone in thinking this, but I'd be surprised if DeLillo isn't read in 50 years, yet alone 10 years. To me his writing still seems incredibly fresh and 'relevant' to our times even though much of it is 50+ years old now.
  4. Leemo

WLF Prize in Literature 2024

My vote: Don DeLillo Ismail Kadare Duong Thu Huong
  5. Leemo

WLF Prize in Literature 2024

I'm mildly surprised how little intention there seems to be to vote for writers who they've nominated before. Do people who once voted for Ismail Kadare and Can Xue no longer like them as much? Or perhaps people just like to change things up?
  6. Leemo

WLF Prize in Literature 2023

All the shortlists so far have been 2 men/1 woman, but there's only been 3 shortlists, and already in this thread there are several people saying they plan to vote for only women with their next shortlist ballots and they are encouraging others to do the same. To me that is perfectly reasonable...
  7. Leemo

Nobel Prize in Literature 2023 Speculation

I wonder how many years we are away from awarding excellence in AI prompting.
  8. Leemo

In my view, making it mandatory that all nominations be female writers would assuredly undermine the award. It would give the impression that a female writer could only win when not in competition against male writers. I think it would be much better if we continue to leave it up to the voters...
  9. Leemo

The more I read Zhang Wei's posts the more I think Can Xue is unlikely to win. If I understand the voting system correctly, the winner needs something akin to general consensus? Can Xue seems to be the kind of writer that many love but equally many hate. So perhaps a different Chinese writer...
  10. Leemo

I'll get the party started. Like the past 2 years of this prize's existence, all 3 authors nominated were brand new to me. Unfortunately I only managed to read one book per author. None of these books blew me away like some of the books of past WLF Prize nominees did, but I did still enjoy all...
  11. Leemo

I'll join in on the fun: 1. Two authors you are rooting for the most to win: Don DeLillo and Gerald Murnane (and Ismail Kadare). 2. Two authors you think are most likely to win: After Ernaux won last year in perhaps the most predictable win since I've been following the award, I'm guessing...
  12. Leemo

Recently finished books?

Maybe it's just the circles I run in, but books practically never come up in conversation. TV, Movies, and TikTok/Youtube are what people talk about. Granted our publically-funded national broadcaster does have one short annual TV series about books, but it's often partially involved with...
  13. Leemo

Recently finished books?

Curious to hear more about Emily Carr's book. She's certainly amongst the most famous painters of the country, but I haven't heard much of anything about her writing (probably because Canada rarely evers talks about anyone's writing).
  14. Leemo

I read Mallo's Nocilla Dream earlier this year and loved it. The other authors are all new names to me and they all sound interesting!
  15. Leemo

I'm unfamiliar with his plays entirely, but I hope Kushner's forays into screenwriting with Spielberg preclude him for consideration ?
  16. Leemo

Perhaps I started with the wrong book of hers to read first, but I was very unimpressed with Winter, so much so that I have no plans to return to her anytime soon.
  17. Leemo

Cormac McCarthy (1933-2023)

Maybe it's worth giving it another go one day, but I found Blood Meridian to be a tough slog to get through. It's hard to get lost in the words or story when there's so much archaic language that I'm grabbing the dictionary paragraph after paragraph. I liked The Road and it's powerful imagery...
  18. Leemo

Have you ever read his books before? I'm curious what that experience would be like. My instinct, which I admit might easily be wrong, is that his screenplays wouldn't read smoothly as "literature", as his cinematic work is so powerfully visual. If someone who is a filmmaker were to be awarded...
  19. Leemo

Recently finished books?

?? Tomás O'Crohan - The Islandman ⭐⭐⭐⭐ The Great Blasket Island is a small island in the Atlantic Ocean, a few miles off the west coast of county Kerry, Ireland. These days life on the island is deemed unfeasible due to extreme weather conditions, however from the 1700s to the 1950s a multitude...
  20. Leemo

While I would agree it often is a bad thing if an author's characters all think and speak like their author, I think if the author is an interesting person with interesting ideas and language I don't think it need be a bad thing. Don DeLillo is perhaps my favourite living writer, and all his...