Search results

1. MichaelHW

Nobel Prize in Literature 2023 Speculation

They must expand into new african and south asian languages, in my opinion. The Philipines, indonesia, large countries. Then there is vietnam, cambodia and laos. They must use new technology to penetrate the literary reviews in new countries. It is very simple, you find the review online, and...
  2. MichaelHW

D. H. Lawrence: Studies in Classic American Literature

D. H. Lawrence was a fantastic writer. Every sentence boils and vibrates. Some of the poetry is also great. And he should have gotten the nobel prize in stead of Galsworthy, who got the prize two years after Lawrence had died. Sometimes I am a little bored by the storyline in some of Lawrence's...
  3. MichaelHW

J.D. Salinger

Salinger wrote a fantastic first person narrative, I remember comparing it to The Stranger by camus, another great first person text. But the US really has some great short story writers at the end of the nineteenth century and early twentieth century that really used it brilliantly, Bierce...
  4. MichaelHW

Michael Henrik Wynn

Here are two poems: To the Harvard Pathologist who Sold Body-Parts Online Dusk swallows modernity, pimpled students withdraw to their own future, and ancient winds swirl the leaves over cobblestones. It is then, accompanied by the owls of the city, that a regular apparition moves under a...
  5. MichaelHW

Michael Henrik Wynn

I wrote some new texts. Here are some of them Celebrity Mourning The crowds waited in anticipation as the pompous fanfares marked the opening of the red carpet, a crowd of slick journalists rushed to the front fence. An even larger crowd consisting of “common men” were held back at the...
  6. MichaelHW

Slavery and Western Capitalism

There is no such thing, it is excluded by Hume's own postulates. However, many of the believers in sociobology would like use their statistical observations in order draw conclusoin about what to do or behave. You may have heard of the fanmous atheists, the four horsemen. One of them is Dawkins...
  7. MichaelHW

Slavery and Western Capitalism

The two great ideologues of the triangle trade were Carl Von Linne, the father of systematics, and David Hume, the great philosopher. But it is ironic that Hume is the person who today prevents the application or spread of normative sociobiology, through his old postulates about moving from is...
  8. MichaelHW

Jack London: The Scarlet Plague

Before the pandemic I had the radio version of The Scarlet Plague in my radio stream. When the pandemic wrived, i decided that it was in bad taste. So I removed it. He was not the first to make such a story by any means. Mary Shelley's The Last Man preceded him at lest. There is also a...
  9. MichaelHW

Michael Henrik Wynn

10. MichaelHW

The Nobel Prize in Literature

How does the academy know which books in other languages than English that are worthy of attention? If they have not been translated into English? Some texts that get attention in very populous countries have not been translated? For instance IGBO in Nigeria has more than four times as many...
  11. MichaelHW

Social Sciences

The first modern social scientist was probably the medieval islamic scholar Ibn Khaldun (1332-1406). He is often ignored because he is not part of the western tradition after Durkheim etc. While Herodutus (484-430 or 420 BC) may have founded a historical tradition in the west, it was Sima Qian...
  12. MichaelHW

Ecuadorian Literature

There is a little known event in the history of literature that took place in Ecuador, some deadly riots related to a radio´play based on HG Wells:
  13. MichaelHW

Science-Fiction & Fantasy

Some people like jazz and other people german folk music. fortunately, there is no thought police to correct what anyone thinks, reads or listens to in the privacy of their own homes. I must admit that i like wilbur smith novels, alistair maclean and some of ken follett's novels before he...
  14. MichaelHW

I misunderstood. Sorry. No, I must admit that do not like reading science fiction. But i can read it if there is a suspense element or some other things I like. Of course, I am not telling you what you should like. Just my own thoughts. Asimov actually wrote a huge number of books. Barbara...
  15. MichaelHW

G. K. Chesterton

I am making a radio play of a father Brown story. It will take a while. But I have some issues with the story. I noticed that there is a very nausiating religious subtext to some stories, in which the villain is a heritic and father brown thereby becomes the "defender of the faith". I am...
  16. MichaelHW

I did NOT say that Asimov was stupid, I said his language was dull. Which is true. Being a genius does not mean that you can paint like Van Ghogh. IQ is more like a mathematical and logical muscle, whereas much art is based on feelings. I also think Asimov may have written too much, and that he...
  17. MichaelHW

There is a lot of BS in scifi, and I have never really enjoyed reading anything except what the old masters of scientific romances wrote. I also think that some of the language in boóks by people like Asimov is a little dull. Frank Herbert is better, but I do enjoy watching the movie versions of...
  18. MichaelHW

Children's classics recommendations?

In Finland, they have the series of books by Tove Jannson (1914 – 2001) about The Moomins, which were very popular all over Scandinavia. Then there is an older writer from sweden, in public domain at new year in Europe, Elsa Beskow (1874 – 1953). In Norway, there is a writer for children with...
  19. MichaelHW

Doris Lessing

I studied feminist literature at university in some summer course, and I read The Grass is Singing about a white woman trapped in a bad marriage in Zimbabwe. I must say, out of all the feminist writers I read, she was the most sensible and the most enjoyable to read. I also liked Fay Weldon...
  20. MichaelHW

Agatha Christie

What you are referring to is a form of insanity, in my view, like an obsessive compulsive hand washing.