Search results

1. Tony W

Michel Houellebecq

I really enjoyed Submission and Elementary Particles. His voice is different and represents a voice that is uncommon in literary circles.
  2. Tony W

Nobel Prize in Literature 2021

Thanks for the the post of the Nobel Prize channel. I subscribed. It is arguably the snootiest (and best) thing I have done this week:)
  3. Tony W

What kind of non-fiction appeals to you?

I read non- fiction to learn. I honestly hardly read any fiction until 15 years ago - and it opened me to something that is not inherently common in non -fiction: Creativity.
  4. Tony W

Do any of you guys write for fun?

It is fun when when short i.e. poems, short stories, book reviews, essays - but a 'long thing' like a novel involves labour, and editing involves labour (when i'm doing the creativity part of my brain is a bit idle).
  5. Tony W

Recently finished books?

Infinite Jest is the quintessential maximalist book. Pale King (almost as long, 800 pages) is very spare. Long passages devoted to what we think about when we are on long drives. The fact that both are written by the same writer is what makes it amazing. It was up for a Pulitzer, but lost.
  6. Tony W

Recently finished books?

Weirdly it is the opposite of Infinite Jest.
  7. Tony W

Recently finished books?

?? David Foster Wallace - Pale King This is a book about the our day to day life, which can be, largely, boring. Knowing this changes the experience of reading a complex book, by a complex artist. "Almost anything you pay close, direct attention to becomes interesting…" David Foster...
  8. Tony W

Recently finished books?

??????? ?? Jean Rhys - Wide Sargasso Sea This small masterpiece. Rhys language is stunning, her descriptions of the West Indies are lyrical (born in Dominica in the 19th century, moved to England as a young woman), yet the story is highly disturbing as it is meant to be. It is told by...
  9. Tony W

What do you do?

I work in Finance (on the legal side of the industry) in the Cayman Islands - spare time is photography. man on boat cayman islands by Tony Walton, on Flickr
  10. Tony W

Japanese Literature

Leseratte, it is very unique. Murakami is the best known (arguably one of the best, but certainly most popular) for this: in After Dark you find a reflection of all of these elements, perfectly combined to create this simple story that has an underlying complexity that keeps the reader...
  11. Tony W

Japanese Literature

Yes Liam. I love his work, and his lonely Edward Hopper cinematography is exqusite. Ozu really captures the transience of life. One of my favourite parts of the movie is when he cuts to the Vase, instead of focusing on her. Nerdwriter does great job on that scene, here.
  12. Tony W

Japanese Literature

Kitchen by Banana Yoshimoto This book is first published in 1988, still love it. There's something about Japanese writers. They have the unparalleled ability of transforming an extremely ordinary scene from our everyday mundane lives into something magical and other-worldly. A man walking...
  13. Tony W

LGBT Literature

Just re-read "A single man" by Christopher Isherwood. Maybe his best. Also: The film directed and produced by Tom Ford is one of the best independent films I have seen. It's a haunting film. (Also, Tom Ford's first directorship. An astounding achievement). The trailer is 'faster' than the...
  14. Tony W

Alexandra Fuller: Don't lets go to the dogs tonight

A true story that reads like any good fiction, Fuller's memoir takes you to countries in Africa while her family from the UK attempts to make a living as farmers dodging the dangers of civil wars and some of the natural invaders such as snakes under beds. Written from a young girl's tone in...
  15. Tony W

Introduce yourself

I am from the Cayman Islands, and live there(here). I like JM Coetzee, Murakami, John Updike, David Foster Wallace, Don DeLillo. Also poetry: Ada Limon, Philip Larkin, Maragaret Atwood. Mary Oliver and Charles Bukowski. I read more prose than poetry, but have of late got more interested...
  16. Tony W

Recently finished books?

Klara and the Sun by Isiguru Speculative fiction is not my cup of tea, except when written by Kazuo Ishiguro ("Ish" per his preference). Therefore, I stumble at entry, getting accustomed to using the part of my brain required for accepting this genre. It took a while for this memoir by Klara, a...
  17. Tony W

Recently Begun Books

Klara and the Sun by Kazuo Ishiguro I stumbled at entry, getting accustomed to using the part of my brain required for accepting the speculative fiction genre. It took a while for this memoir by Klara, a solar powered AF (artificial friend), who has been programmed to both giving kindness...
  18. Tony W

Nobel Prize in Literature 2021 Speculation

I would say the odds are Anne Carson Murakami Margaret Atwood Don DeLillo - on the outside, but my personal favourite
  19. Tony W

Your favourite painting

Edward Hopper - Nighthawks Mark Rothko - White Center